Kitchen Plinth Vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have just installed new kitchen base units myself along a wall that is outside facing, after a couple of months am having a bit of an issue with condensation and mould forming on the inside wall surface. Am planning to have a passive vent core-drilled into the wall to improve ventilation there but was wondering if kitchen plinth vents below the units could also help:

https://www.howdens.com/kitchens/kitchen-fittings/plinths/stainless-steel-effect-plinth-vent-obj-sku-family-gir0960

Apparently encourage air circulation under there but was wondering if they might also add to the issue by allowing more humid air to enter as well? Or is it a case that as hot air rises and these are at the bottom it wouldn't hurt to have them as well? I know they're usually used under ovens.

Am having a better extractor fan put in too but just curious if these vents could improve air circulation around the base units in a kitchen that tends to get humid.

Any insight very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
cold air from outdoors holds less water than warm air from inside. So ventilating the void to outside will reduce condensation.

but why is your kitchen damp?

do you use the extractor fan enough?

does anyone drape wet washing around?

do you have water leaks, for example under the sink?

cold air from outdoors holds less water than warm air from inside. So ventilating the void to outside will reduce condensation.

but why is your kitchen damp?

do you use the extractor fan enough?

does anyone drape wet washing around?

do you have water leaks, for example under the sink?

Cheers I think it's due to being a smaller kitchen, poor extraction unit before, solid brick walls with no cavity, and now a new dishwasher which is adding heat to an area that never had it before (no leaks there), some of the base unit backboards have holes for sockets etc so I'm sure condensation is rushing in once the unit doors are opened as well.

Do you think plinth vents would hurt?

yes, they will allow more warm, humid air to enter the cold void and condense on the walls.

Sponsored Links
yes, they will allow more warm, humid air to enter the cold void and condense on the walls.
Against that, what about dishwasher (in particular) which require a large cut-out at the top of the plinth to give clearance for the drop down door, also built-in gas ovens which can require a vent in both the plinth and the worktop above and behind the oven? Surely warm air will tend to rise rather than sink, so having vents front bottom and rear top (either through an air brick or a vent in the worktop) will help air flow.

Having said that the wall at the back of my washing machine is really bad because I currently can't get that airflow I need :mad: Hopefully to be cured when I install some wall insulation and replace the kitchen in the future (cavity wall, but very old - 1880s - so not much like a modern cavity wall)

A kitchen should never be a humid place if we’ll ventilated .

warm air holds more water than cold air

so when it hits a cold surface, condensation occurs.

the wall behind the units is cold, and the air in the kitchen is warm

Maybe it's my kitchen, John, but the air at floor level isn't that warm. The joy of having a stone flag floor, I suppose. Most of the heat in the kitchen is produced by the hob (910mm above floor level) and oven (about 300mm above floor level)

warm air holds more water than cold air

so when it hits a cold surface, condensation occurs.

the wall behind the units is cold, and the air in the kitchen is warm
Shouldn’t be any air movement behind units .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back