kitchen plumbing and bad smells

mnn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,

we've been having 'bad smells' enter our kitchen for a few months now and we're struggling to find out where it's coming from exactly.

the smell is kinda like a strong garlic but can differ from this slightly. also, there's not a specific time that this happens - seems to be pretty random.
it's not anything to do with cooking waste etc and it's not anything to do with neighbours.

anyhow, the weekend, i took off the kitchen plinth to have a look at the plumbing, as i thought i'd check it out.

we've got a dual-sink (a normal size and a small one) that join together prior to disappearing beneath the subfloor. there's also a dish washer that gets plumbed in to the piping.

this pipe enters what looks like a large pipe that's in the actual subfloor and there's a black cap-like item on this large pipe out of the subfloor.

my question is, this black-cap thing - is it supposed to butt up to the piping from the sinks and by doing so, ensuring that there's no gap between the large pipe and the white sink piping?

at the moment, there is a gap and i'm wondering if this is where our smells are originating from.

any hints/tips/advise welcome
thanks in advance

i guess i could take a picture and post it if it's helpfull

Sponsored Links
cheers ...

i've put an arrow pointing at the pipe and black 'cap' in the second and third pics.

looks like this black 'cap' should meet the white piping and form a 'seal' ??

Sponsored Links
Where you have arrowed is the underground drain pipe and should be a sealed joint between white waste, you will get bad smells if it isn't sealed.

thanks. so it is supposed to 'seal' up between the white pipe and the red/brown one?

do you know what this black cap is called so i know what to ask the local plumbing store for?

also, the other pipe, (blue one out of the flexible piping) which is the water mains in to the house - can i get a similar cap for this or does it not need one?

thanks

also, would it be possible to get a rat up through this? we've had a 'visitor' and i put it down to a field mouse we've seen in the garden, but i'm not so sure as i don't see anyway it could have got in and got out. is it possible something has come up here and has gone back down this way too?

blue one don't need one should be sealed inside the black pipe.

plumbcentre drainage do them covers.
polypipe make them.

is it fitting on properly?
the brown pipe should have a lip for the rubber one to lip over.

thanks. do you mean plumbcentre.co.uk?

don't suppose you can give me a direct URL link as i can't find it on the site?

yes, looks like the lip is fit properly, just that the cap doesn't stretch enough to meet the white piping. also looks split a bit as it meets some of the red piping

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back