Kitchen Project/Challenge

C

Chunkydoc

Greetings and Salutations.

I'm a serial lurker, though only signed up recently.
Thought I'd share my challenge with y'all and maybe get a little advice.

So, moved into a 1930s semi in January.
Downstairs single story extension added in 1982, Kitchen and Bathroom. The extension is 14ft x 17ft 3", or there abouts, and is located on the back of the house.

We want to maximise the space and to do this we plan on taking down the wall between the dining room (load bearing as it's the original back of the house) and rip out the downstairs bathroom. We had a SE come round last week to spoil our plans temporarily.

Basically the timber used to hold up the roof is crap and is either 4" or 6" and not of sufficient structural value to hold up the roof. The builder remedied this by adding a small steel and a load bearing wall (part of the bathroom).

So, as the existing ceiling is already 12" below the dining room, any attempt to use the right size timber will mean we all become vertically challenged or we turn the kitchen into a training camp for Cave rescue! Thus, our only option is to take away the existing roof structure and rebuild it. He's also suggested removing the 4 courses of brickwork above the lintels and replacing them with Catnic i think he said as he can't guarantee the old ones will take the new weight. Oh and he also questioned why the hell we have a parapit wall around the roof, though I'm sure it was rhetorical.

I do have one question if I may. Ideally i'd like a pitched roof with a nice high ceiling, but I'm not sure we have enough room to do this. The bedroom windows are only about 2ft above the existing flat roof, so we have 2 options roof wise:

1. Raise the lot as suggested by the SE, and maybe put in a roof light of some description, but keep a flat roof.

2. Attempt to build a combination of a pitched roof into a flat roof. This way we can put a couple of Velux windows in and have that nice vaulted (or is it Cathedral?) ceiling we so desire.

What are peoples opinions on the options in terms of cost differential/difficulty/end "wow" factor?

**Edit**
Couple of High Tec Pictures for your viewing pleasure:
//www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php?album_id=12957

Sponsored Links
Oh, now here's a thought.

Just read another post and someone mentioned underfloor heating!
The kitchen area is all concrete so I may look into digging it up and putting some underfloor heating in. Well, the pipes anyhow. We have an old boiler, huge thing, that will need replacing at some point so maybe do it now and connect it all when the new boiler goes in.

Well, things are moving.
Drawings received last week and we've had our first builder round to provide a quote.

Sat with a kitchen planner for 3hrs on Saturday and changed the room plan some also, but we've finally got a kitchen plan we're happy with.

Now to collect all the quotes to determine when we can actually embark on this project fully. Exciting times ahead.

Sponsored Links
I've added the plans to the album, found here:
//www.diynot.com/network/Chunkydoc/albums/12957

Will scan and upload the kitchen plan shortly.

Rookie error with the kitchen planner, I gave a measurement that was 1metre out! Still, no harm done as it means we'll get more units on one side and doesn't impact us too much.

Our initial kitchen quote came from Homebase (I know!!), the Mrs likes one of their kitchens. Anyhow, £23k for units alone. Miraculously reduced to £8k because of their "Sale".

I'm going to try BenchMarx and Howdens, along with Wickes & B&Q, but does anyone have any alternate suggestions?

Another small update.

I've since found www.diy-kitchens.com and it looks like their units are much more competitively priced than any of the usual player.

Anyhow, as promised here is the kitchen plan:

//www.diynot.com/network/Chunkydoc/albums/12957/49759

Excuse the pen.
Also, the right hand measurement is wrong and should be 4290 and there is a stud wall on the left as per the architect drawing.

Problem the wife and I have at the moment is the layout. We like this layout but she's worried about the amount of space that's potentially left. we both like the idea of an american fridge freezer with units all around, but as it stands the plan only has an integrated fridge freezer in the top left hand corner.

Any suggestions/opinions most welcome.

Wow.
Got our first builders quote last night.....£17k + VAT.
Wasn't expecting that!

I had a friend have an extension built for less than that.

**Edit**

Oh, forgot to mention.
I asked him to quote for EPDM instead of felt and his response was:

"EPDM is considered a "DIY" product by everyone in the Trade and as such our quote is based on a 3 layer felt roof"

2 additional quotes in.
One received yesterday £23,800 +VAT. This one however had a few notes detailing work that they wouldn't do, even though it's on the plans!

Best one to date was £13,500 all in, this also includes the fitting of the kitchen, when we finally decide on the layout as I've changed my mind again. This firm are doing a big double extension next door to my dad so I've seen the quality of their work.

2 more quotes to come, then we'll make a decision.

I'll get some pictures up this weekend of how it currently looks.

I love the 'miraculous' sale at halfords, the permanent sale is always quite curious.

You could try looking at www.homesupply.co.uk for some of the fittings like your kitchen taps but I am not sure if you will be able to get everything there. Depends if you want to go to a 'one-stop shop' and get all your needs at one place, but if you are on a tight budget then it is good to shop around.

nice modern feel. Ovens are quite a long way from the hob but sometimes needs must.

We discussed that very point actually.
Strangely enough we tend to cook in zones anyhow so the fact that the ovens are in a seperate postcode isnt' a big issue.

This sounds impressive Chunkydoc but im just not sure I could take on that commitment. I tackled my bathrooms a couple years back but the work just piled up, It felt like I never got any sleep and the whole thing just escalated. Fair play to ya for doing the business though, I respect that

I asked him to quote for EPDM instead of felt and his response was:

"EPDM is considered a "DIY" product by everyone in the Trade and as such our quote is based on a 3 layer felt roof"

| have just had the roof of my kitchen covered with EPDM ( the Firestone product ). The result is in my opinion far better than felt and will last much longer. If there is a problem it can be repaired very easily.

It may be considered as DIY by the trade as the labour involved is less than that for a felt roof so the roofer's income per roof is less

Thought I'd update this, with no real news.
Despite starting to look at this last August, we're still no nearer to starting the actual construction. We've had other things take priority and currently have a Chimney stack issue that needs resolving. All of this is eating into the Kitchen Budget, as a result it's on the back burner for now.

It's all very frustrating, though i'm now seriously considering turning this into a DIY project. I have some friends in the trade and between us we can get the structural work done, then i can project manage the other trades.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back