Pitched roof over kitchen extension - question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are having a flat roof on our kitchen extension replaced with a pitched one (single pitch running from under the bathroom window at the top to the edge of the kitchen - about 3metres x 2.5 metres).

We had a structural engineer involved under recommendation from the roofing company, and he carried out some calculations regarding timber sizes etc. The work started yesterday and as soon as they took the old flat roof covering off they said that they had a problem because the the roof timbers run across the flat roof not front to back.

They called out the structural engineer who has told them what they need to do and the work has now continued.

The question I have is what difference does it make which way the old timbers run? I asked the roofer and he said something about now having to bolt thing together with 9" coach bolts set in resin. His explanation didn't really make a lot of sense to me to be honest and I just wondered if anyone could shed some light on what the problem was - just to satisfy my own curiosity really.

I thought that they just bolted a wall plate to the vertical wall and ran the new rafters from that to the front edge of the roof, can't see how the direction of run of the old timbers affects things.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it is a lean-to roof then triangulation is not such an issue.

So long as the pitching plate is adequately fixed then i don't see the joist direction factoring at all.

Is it a hip lean to or mono pitch?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back