kitchen Refit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a kitchen refit and want to relocate sink, washing machine and dishwasher. Currently the 3 are right next to (max 1metre away) waste pipe and water supply.

I want to move the sink, washing machine and dishwasher roughly 5 metres away, the service pipes can go behind the base kitchen cabinets in a straight line with no bends - the question, is this too far from the waste pipe?

Also noticed the blue pipe main water supply coming through the floor to the stopcock, I want to move this roughly 1 metre away to the otherside of kitchen cabinets - is it possible to not turn the main water off outside to do this?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
your 1 1/2inch waste pipe can run 3mt without needing to be upped in size to 2inch pipe, you can either run it all in 2inch and be safe or increase it down the line. Both will run behind the units only problem ive had in past is if they have to run behind an appliance i.e oven or dishawasher as clearance behind them is minimal and obvious heat from oven. Unless you can get the waste pipe below cabinet base level, but at 5mt you would be pushed to get the correct fall on the pipe.

thanks, just to clarify

the waste pipes from dishwasher, sink and washing machine would run 5m along behind the cabinets then into the a vertical waste pipe in the corner of kitchen connecting upstairs loo and then under house into drain.

should be fine as long as the fall on pipe is betwen 1:40 and 1:60 and the dishwasher and w/m are after the sink in the line from the vertical soil pipe then all should be good, and you use 2 inch pipe for the last two meters or all of it. As i said the only thing that messes it up is if there is an oven in the run, but these generally sit 240mm off the floor so you could get the pipe behind it if needed, just needs a bit of thought before you start building.

Sponsored Links
thanks again!

ok, the main water blue pipe coming into the house, can I somehow lock this off while it is repositioned? The stopcock is also attached to this.

reading this has stopped me asking the same questions, I am thinking of moving my kitchen into another room (bigger) and have a suspended floor (I think that's what it's called) I think it will be around the 5 m distance so will I be ok if I use the 2" waste pipe.
sorry for the thread hi-jack

If you wanted to you can buy a pipe clamp that will cut the supply whilst you move the stop cock. But if its low enough to the floor now just turn it off and alter the pipe coming from it to where you want it and add another stop cock there. Then just leave open the original And use the new one As ur new one

Surplus6. You could do the same but if you have a suspended floor (one with a gap under it) then it is wiser to use four inch soil pipe under the floor until you get to floor level then you can use normal 40mm waste or two inch. Depending on length of runs. This is in case you tile floor and used two inch it could block easier. Where as encom80's pipe is above floor so he could access it if blocked.

thank you very much for the advise. just been scratching my head about it, working out the gradient and there should be room enough, I will go for the bigger pipe. looking at the mains water pipe, I'll drop that under but what will the pipe be made of, looks like lead piping???? the house was built in 1935 if that helps

All lead piping should be replaced with the blue plastic stuff but it may involve digging up back to the main supply on the road if its a big old tap with lead on both ends with no compression joints then best to just add on to exisiting when it gets to copper and fit new stopcock down the line.if you can cut the lead back as far as possible, they do make a lead to copper connector.

should be fine as long as the fall on pipe is betwen 1:40 and 1:60 and the dishwasher and w/m are after the sink in the line from the vertical soil pipe.

Can you please explain why the w/m and dishwasher should be after the sink? thanks :)

try fitting a two inch pipe behind a dishawasher and a washing machine, esp integrated ones. unless you sink in the wall which would destroy half a four inch block ( not advised) therefore put appliances in after sink and run waste outlets to the trap on sink. then run the two inch pipe behind the units to the soil pipe.

You can channel upto 50mm into wall. As 17th ed electrics req wiring to be that depth. But I wouldn't want to as the skin is only 100 mm. ESP if load bearing.

I thought that was for vertical chases. Horizontal chases are only up to 1/6 of the skin depth (16mm for 100mm skin).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back