kitchen ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone help. I've had to move some socket outlets in my kitchen to provide points for new appliances. my kitchen ring main is protected by a 32a b class mcb which is fed from a 63a 30ma rccb. before I carried out the alterations everything was working fine but now the work has been completed if I try to plug in anything other than a radio or clock the rccb trips out. I've checked and rechecked to make sure all the connections in the new socket outlets are where they should be but the problem still remains. what have I done wrong?

Sponsored Links
thanks for your swift reply guys, as to whether I changed any connections in the c.u , the answeris no and I've carried out an insulation resistance and continuity test both giving the coreect results. I've checked polarity by unscrewing the new socket outlets from their boxes and making sure they,re connected correctly. the only test I'm unsure about is eath loop impedance.

Sponsored Links
Have you cross connected the ring and carried out an R1+R2 test at each socket outlet?

Sorry to sound like in idiot Rf but my knowledge of cross conecting and testing R1+R2 is zero

Hello Alan,

RF is referring to;
At your C/U, connect one (L) leg of the ring to the other legs (N). Then do the same with the other legs. Measuring between L-N at each socket should be about the same, and should be @ 1/4 the resistance of the L-N loops. (R1 + R2) / 4.
Then, carry out the same test with the L and E.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Thanks for the explanation Edward, just one more question. I have a small digital multi-meter, would that suffice or should I be using something a little more sophisticated?

Hello,

Is your meter capable of measuring low resistances ? ohms.

Ed.

Ed, I don't have my meter at hand but as far as I can recall it does, if not then I'll bye a better one. I'll be sure to try out your suggestions tomorrow and report back my findings.

Thanks so much for your patience guys its much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back