kitchen sink fitting...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
morning all

very quick question....

when fitting a sink into a kitchen worktop should there be a 'special' rubber seal between the sink and the top or is a flexible grout good enough??

cheers and merry christmas :O)

Sponsored Links
I have just used 'plumbers mait', previously I have used silcone, plumbers mait was a lot easier

thankyou kindly for your speedy replies :O)

quick trip to the shed and i reckon i'll finally get the sink fitted tonight - taken me sunday afternoon, and two evenings to fit the new work surface, cut the hole for the sink and re-do the plumbing... i'd be quite impressed with myself........... if it wasn't for the fact that we've had no water in the kitchen for the last 3 days - lol

ta again

Sponsored Links
You can buy putty tape for this, just peel the backing paper off. Very neat and easy to do, normally about 20mm wide then trim it off afterward.

Might be a good idea to seal your cut edges, I used pva 2 coats. Beter to be safe than sorry.

Diyisfun said:
Might be a good idea to seal your cut edges, I used pva 2 coats. Beter to be safe than sorry.

yep done that - water resistant varnish as i had some spare, reckon it'll do the same job....

liking the idea of 'putty tape' will check with 'b & big long que' tonight to see what they got :O)

cheers all

king.module said:
liking the idea of 'putty tape' will check with 'b & big long que' tonight to see what they got
If not plumbing merchants should have them as they also use them for electric or gas hob as well.

well i managed to get it all in though i did have a few problems....

a. putting the clamps on the bottom of the sink to attach to the worksurface - what is the point of that then - i had a gap of around 2 mm between the sink and the W/S so i tighten up the clamps... what do they do? scrape through the bottom of the surface and ping out leaving 'scrape holes' making re-attaching/tightening them even harder -

b. the waste unit for the sink (brought from b&q as advertised on the sink as 'required pack J (or whatever....)' was too small to fit snuggly into the legacy plumbing - solution loads of sealant and an unhappy chappy

c. the isolation value for the hot water had sealed closed and could i get it open again? could i f**k... i mangled the key hole which means i now have to replace it.... and it was only 4 days old

still we do have cold water now..... and a 1mm gap around the sink (the sealant wasn't pressed up to the edge because there wasn't enough pressure..... and i've got to drain the system to get the hot water back on

still it's all good fun.............. isn't it? :confused:

p.s i even got the wrong type of 'putty tape' :eek:

cheers for everyones help :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back