Kitchen Sink over top of worktop bolts!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just tried to install my kitchen sink.

The space under the bowl and the draining board all needs to be jigsawed out.

The problem is that the worktop joining bolts are in the way. Our kitchen is u-shaped and even if we joined the worktops differently - this would still be a problem.

Any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that you have such a small kitchen and the sink can only go in this space between the two worktop joins and can't be moved?

If so, why weren't the worktops joints put at 90 degrees to the way they are - ie parallel with the front of the sink and not parallel with the sides?

Or turn the sink around

I've got a corner sink fitted over a 90 degree corner joint and one end of the cut out for a through bolt wound up where a sink bowl was.
After some head scratching, I drilled an 8mm hole through from the sink bowl side, cut the through-bolt down and got a big 50mm washer on the sink side. There was just enough clearance between the side of the sink bowl and the end of the through bolt to hold it with a 10mm spanner whilst tightening from the other end.

The other option is to rout out a shallow tray for the drainer to fit in rather than cutting the whole area away. Hopefully this will leave enough space for the cut out for the through bolts.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that you have such a small kitchen and the sink can only go in this space between the two worktop joins and can't be moved?

If so, why weren't the worktops joints put at 90 degrees to the way they are - ie parallel with the front of the sink and not parallel with the sides?

Or turn the sink around

The sink fits at the end of the U shape - with the joints in either way the bolts would have got in the way when sawing through for the draining board (on the left or right hand side). It's just one of those things that I didn't spot in advance.

The sink fits at the end of the U shape - with the joints in either way the bolts would have got in the way when sawing through for the draining board

From this plan I've found on the net, you can see that if the sink was put into a single worktop the whole width of the kitchen, and the joints were in line with the front edge of the sink, then the bolts would not affect the sink recess.

Are you saying that the drainer is to be sited further over towards the wall?

KitchenType1.gif

The sink fits at the end of the U shape - with the joints in either way the bolts would have got in the way when sawing through for the draining board

From this plan I've found on the net, you can see that if the sink was put into a single worktop the whole width of the kitchen, and the joints were in line with the front edge of the sink, then the bolts would not affect the sink recess.

Are you saying that the drainer is to be sited further over towards the wall?

KitchenType1.gif

Yes - thanks for findin the drawing - the draining board would be further across. Only the bowl and a bit of drainer in line with the aisle, not the whole sink and drainer as in the picture

Cut your mitre, whichever way you want, and then either adapt the bolt to be shorter (if the joint is in line with the sink front), or fix a plate or some ply to the underside of the worktop if the joint is going across the sink

You might find that if the worktop mitre joint is in line with the sink front, then the sink will be so close to the front worktop edge, so that the other worktop effectively just buts up to the sink recess and all you see is the 45 degree cut at the internal corner

B&Q design i bet.

B&Q design for sure - the type that uses 1000mm wide cabinets as stand in for corner units.

i am confused by that comment.

Sorry - BandQ have 1000mm wide base cabinets that they use instead of corner units at times - the base cabinets are very solid and heavy and have chunky beams everywhere and aren't great under sinks etc.

They gave us a reasonable design but it just didn't quite work - and they sent us a selection of random things on the order too!! At least they are local and accessible

Sorry - BandQ have 1000mm wide base cabinets that they use instead of corner units at times - the base cabinets are very solid and heavy and have chunky beams everywhere and aren't great under sinks etc.

They gave us a reasonable design but it just didn't quite work - and they sent us a selection of random things on the order too!! At least they are local and accessible

Yeah, they will require heavy butchering to fit sinks into, and removal of the middle beam all together. Luckily the cabinets are fairly overengineered, so they are still strong even after some major surgery with the jigsaw. The backboard alone is ~10mm mdf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back