Kitchen sink plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

hoping someone can help me - complete novice so go easy on me! lol i've replaced the kitchen sink and installed dishwasher however get "gurgling" and ticking noises whenever dishwasher drains or a lot water goes down sink... i'm assuming it's how i've connected it all up, after reading believe my P Trap isn't installed properly....

the pipe going out the wall is quite low so i connected it like the pics... as the trap has cracked, looking to replace it and thought while i'm at it might as well get some advice on it and reconfig if needed...

i don't really want to higher drain pipe coming out of wall, could i just extend pipe so P Trap is lower? just seem like a lot of pipework... what would everyone else recommend or is there anything wrong in the setup or a "neater" way i could of done it?

any advice would be appreciated. (Btw that's the "old" shelf on the floor you can see, took it off while reconfiguring pipework.

how it used to be plumbed, before sink 1/2 and DW...

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fit an anti syphon trap instead of the existing one and move the washer to the inlet above the existing one. Think that should resolve it, unless I missed something (it's late :sleep:)

Can you configure the dishwasher drain pipe so that it exits from the machine, ascends to a level at the top of the machine and then descends gently into your trap? As it is, the dishwasher drain can't fully empty.
John :)

A Omega suggests, move the washing machine outlet to the next inlet connector above where it currently is. The ticking noise is very likely expansion noises as the hot water feeds into the trap, whilst the gurgling noise is where its trying to push the water upwards over the level of the p trap. With the current configuration and you'll end up with waste water in the bottom of the DW outlet, and your machine will start to smell. The anti syphon isn't applicable on this setup, as there's no water trap above where the DW outlet is entering the setup.

Sponsored Links
It's a rare setup indeed that won't gurgle to some extent, where appliance spigots feed into a sink waste prior to a P trap. The amount of water being pumped out of an appliance is pretty significant and will always create noise in the trap/spigot as the narrowing pipework funnels it in and the pipework above it somewhat amplifies the water noise through the sink waste. It's pretty unavoidable unfortunately.

Try and put an appliance stand pipe in, if there's space, it's so much better IME.

P.s. you will always get some water left within an appliance every time it's used, no matter how it's connected to the soil pipe, unless the pipe and soil connection is below the level of the pump, which is in the base of the machine, which I've never seen TBH.

Can you configure the dishwasher drain pipe so that it exits from the machine, ascends to a level at the top of the machine and then descends gently into your trap? As it is, the dishwasher drain can't fully empty.
John :)

there's no space at the back of the dishwater or side to be able to come into the cupboard over the top without kinking/squishing the pipe, the bottom of dishwater has indent for pipe to run across which is why it comes in from bottom of the cupboard but thanks for suggestion.

It's a rare setup indeed that won't gurgle to some extent, where appliance spigots feed into a sink waste prior to a P trap. The amount of water being pumped out of an appliance is pretty significant and will always create noise in the trap/spigot as the narrowing pipework funnels it in and the pipework above it somewhat amplifies the water noise through the sink waste. It's pretty unavoidable unfortunately.

Try and put an appliance stand pipe in, if there's space, it's so much better IME.

P.s. you will always get some water left within an appliance every time it's used, no matter how it's connected to the soil pipe, unless the pipe and soil connection is below the level of the pump, which is in the base of the machine, which I've never seen TBH.

unfortunately there is litteraly mm's of room behind the dishwasher otherwise i certainly would of gone with this option.

so do you think having a longer "tail" so the trap is lower that the waste pipe going out of the wall would stop the "gurgling" noise...? main reason i questioned the setup is a crack has appeared in trap and is leaking, which is why i wondered whether i'd set it up right as pipe was only 6 months old... so only improvement really is to connect DW to higher appliance inlet? only reason i didn't is the plumbing pack didn't have the nozzle (i'd already changed trap as we had DW first then other half decided wanted new sink too **rolls eyes**) lol

thanks all for quick responses!

Where is the crack exactly, there's obviously something that's applying pressure to it that needs to be corrected.

As suggested before though, I think you will find it difficult to eliminate all the draining water noise. It's all to do with the flow of water being pumped into the pre trap waste pipes that creates the noise in the first place and without altering that you will always get some water noise from the sink waste, there's not a lot you can do about it unfortunately. Changing it to the higher inlet may smooth the water flow a bit but without taking it away from that waste pipe setup completely and using another drain I don't think you'll eliminate it all, such is the nature of those types of drain setups.

If I were you I'd put in a stand pipe separately, it doesn't need a massive amount of space. With that setup I discovered that waste from the sink flows into your washer which is a really bad thing.
If you can't change it, at least make sure the hose for the washer goes up above the sink water level between the appliance and the connector to the waste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back