Kitchen sink waste nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve had a nightmare recently where the dish washer decided it had enough. I thought at first it may be blocked so took the hose off the kitchen waste trap incase it was blocked it wasn’t.

Whilst doing that I felt the waste pipe to the soil pipe drop a little, I looked into the soil pipe and saw a rubber bung (osma 110mm bung with a hole for the waste pipe) had fallen deeper into the soil pipe, nightmare number one!

To get the bung out I had to cut the waste pipe which is all annoyingly solvent weld stuff, why!!

My plan is to remove the solvent weld plumbing and change to compression fitting for future ease of dismantling for cleaning etc, but here comes nightmare number 2, it’s 43mm, seems someone at some point had the urge to make 40mm instead.

Because of this I want to go with 40mm and not get new 43mm (if you can even get it) so at least it’s standard.

Now onto nightmare number 3, the kitchen sink waste pipe plumbing (bends, down pipe etc) is some weird silver stuff, I believe it’s Lira/Franke space saving (not needed at all)

If I keep the existing plug bit, would a 40mm waste trap kit work on it, or will I need a whole new plug. Below is a picture of the bottom of the sink plug, if I get a standard telescopic trap such as this
B7E1A199-2582-42DD-9BC3-3D73DCF40778.jpeg
Will that fit into the bottom of my sink strainer which is
6C5B0959-C712-4035-86B8-CBFF1390542E.jpeg
If so I think I’m good.

Is there a way I can measure the bottom of my kitchen strainer to know if the new waste trap will fit?

Thanks and sorry if I’m confusing anyone, I really don’t understand plumbing as nothing ever seems to be common and seems madness to me

Sponsored Links
Few more pictures of the setup. Also if anyone knows whether I can just get 40mm pipe and put into picture 1 where the current 43mm goes and won’t get leaks even easier as I can keep the whole setup, apart from new 40mm to soil
5A24226A-D236-4157-A2ED-23671A1B255A.jpeg
695C92D1-2F73-47AA-8AC6-0E5C2BDCBBFB.jpeg
9A1C3EC2-0EA3-4827-8FDB-DC72291165A7.jpeg
This below is a 43mm pipe. If I can get new 40mm pipe to replace this and it fits into picture 1/2 I’m good but I don’t know if it’ll be watertight as it’ll be 3mm thinner, but the current 43mm pipe wobbles into picture 1/2 but is good because of the rubber washer
62C9A467-ED88-4F99-9F04-B7D0E3AD8731.jpeg

Last edited:
If all the grey trap/ components are all good ,why change it ?
Compression fittings will accommodate solvent weld pipe as well as push fit pipe. The outer diameters ,although different doesn't matter.
Push fit and solvent weld pipes and fittings are not compatible with each other.

If all the grey trap/ components are all good ,why change it ?
Compression fittings will accommodate solvent weld pipe as well as push fit pipe. The outer diameters ,although different doesn't matter.
Push fit and solvent weld pipes and fittings are not compatible with each other.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify, if I get 40mm pipe it’ll still work with the part in my 1st and 2nd picture on my second post? Obviously I’ll need a new washer for it but should be good?

I was only thinking I’d need to change the silver parts because it’s not a standard size, because a 43mm pipe goes into it now (it probably is but I have no idea tbh)

I guess as the 40mm pipe will come with a washer it’ll work like you said because when it’s tightened it should make a good bond, in which case the silver existing parts will remain which I’m good with

Sponsored Links
I mean a new seal, from the new 40mm pipe screwing into the 1st and 2nd picture. I’ll need to get one of them rather than reuse the same one in picture 4.

This is the other part I’m confused at, the solvent weld pipe is 43mm but the 90 degree bend says 40mm, how is that possible to get 43 into 40
9998826A-7035-4B5C-9EDC-857E32C20860.jpeg

Don't confuse internal and external diameters - the solvent pvc 40mm pipe is 40mm internal 43 external, the push fit PP 40mm pipe is 40mm external diameter. And presumably 1.5 inches internal or something.
And as mentioned above the compression fittings can handle both.

I’m all good now, Terryplumb went above and beyond to help me :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back