Kitchen sockets - 2.5mm or 4mm cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read/been told that it is standard practice to use 16A breakers on all ring mains sockets, using 2.5mm twin and earth cable, except for the kitchen circuit which should be fitted with a 32A breaker - does this mean that 4mm cable should ideally be used in this circuit? As I've also read that 2.5mm cable should never be connected to a 32A breaker.

Sponsored Links
a ring main is always on a 32a breaker, using 2.5mm csa cable. You generally wouldn't need 4mm for a ring final.

you would use 4mm on a 20a radial but you would never put a ring on a 16a mcb.

Normally you would not connect 2.5mm to a 32A mcb but on a ring it is perfectly acceptable.

I'm gonna suggest you get an electrician in for what you have planned

I've read/been told that it is standard practice to use 16A breakers on all ring mains sockets, using 2.5mm twin and earth cable, except for the kitchen circuit which should be fitted with a 32A breaker - does this mean that 4mm cable should ideally be used in this circuit? As I've also read that 2.5mm cable should never be connected to a 32A breaker.
You have read or been told rubbish.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:socket_circuits

a ring main is always on a 32a breaker, using 2.5mm csa cable. You generally wouldn't need 4mm for a ring final.
Twin and Earth cable by the way - but nothing to stop you.
you would use 4mm on a 20a radial ....
Yes you could but why when a 2.5mm T&E can go on a 20Amp radial final circuit. 4mm T&E can go on a radial final circuit protected by a 32Amp MCB.
Normally you would not connect 2.5mm to a 32A mcb but on a ring it is perfectly acceptable.
Well of course you can for spurs. ;)
I'm gonna suggest you get an electrician in for what you have planned
Good idea.

Sponsored Links
you would use 4mm on a 20a radial ....
Yes you could but why when a 2.5mm T&E can go on a 20Amp radial final circuit.

When typing that post I originally typed, 'you would use 4mm on a radial, dependant on derating factors' and then simplified it

Looking at adding a radial in my house, and given the cable route, I would need to use 4mm on a 20a

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back