Why are 32A breakers used on 26A wiring?

I'm not so sure about that. I often have people say "oh that socket hasn't worked for ages/since I moved in" and it's invariably the live/neutrals have popped out of the circuit. If that happens on a radial, you obviously lose the rest of the circuit so people are move likely to get it fixed.
I can't argue with what you're saying. However, although I suppose I shouldn't say this, I would think that the chances of 2.5mm² cable (on a 32A MCB), or of the property in which it is installed, coming to any harm even if the ring gets broken is probably extremely small.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The problem with 4 or 6 mm² radials is getting the cables into the sockets, same with switches, you can get a pair of 2.5 mm² cables into a 20A switch so two cables both feeding a single bank of switches everything fits, but use a single 6 mm² cable and it will not physically fit.

So the ring final and so called kitchen ring are used because only a few makes of socket and back box will allow you to fit three cables into the unit. So even if there is a good reason to move to radials, practical limitations means rings are still used.

It is the same with fused connection units, it would make sense to have 16A fused connection units so that appliances designed for rest of EU where they have 16A radials could be connected to ring finals or cooker supplies, but they are simply not made.

Sponsored Links
The problem with 4 or 6 mm² radials is getting the cables into the sockets,
No it isn't - unless it's different in Wales.

same with switches, you can get a pair of 2.5 mm² cables into a 20A switch so two cables both feeding a single bank of switches everything fits, but use a single 6 mm² cable and it will not physically fit.
Why would you be using 6mm²?

So the ring final and so called kitchen ring are used because only a few makes of socket and back box will allow you to fit three cables into the unit.
I disagree about the "few", but, anyway use them, then.

So even if there is a good reason to move to radials, practical limitations means rings are still used.
I think it's more because that's what we've always done so that's what we always do.

It is the same with fused connection units, it would make sense to have 16A fused connection units so that appliances designed for rest of EU where they have 16A radials could be connected to ring finals or cooker supplies, but they are simply not made.
It makes no difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back