Kitchen sockets positions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I probably did not see all the posts, but I searched and could not find this;
in a kitchen, what is the distance of sockets and connectors from the appliances according to the regs. (I looked at the BS 7671, may be it is there but I could not find it). The reason that I'm asking is that I visited a customer that has a gas cooker and above it ( about 3 inches) in the middle between the gas rings there is a double socket, it does not look right to me and I remember a figure of 150mm, minimum distance between the appliance and a socket or a fused spur. can someone can confirm this or help with a site where I can find this information.
Thanks
Albert

Sponsored Links
For hobs, there is an exclusion zone that extends over the hob and a further 50 mm horizontally in every direction along the work surface, and upwards for 760 mm. In this zone, there may be no combustible materials. This usually means there is almost no margin for positioning the hob to avoid the wall cupboards each side. Note that as of autumn 2004 if you fit a 700mm wide hob (usually 5 burner units) then you must have at least 700mm gap or "bridge" in any wall cupboards.

For cookers the zone is 20 mm side clearance on the lower part of the cooker (oven sides) and then 150 mm each side for the top part of the cooker (above the level of the burners and pan supports). The upper zone extends vertically to either 610 mm above the top of the cooker if it has an eye-level grill, or 760 mm if the highest point is the hob burners.

I guess it would make sense not to have wiring accessories in the exclusion zone.

just for my ref where can i find the figures you are quoting plz.

Sponsored Links
AFAICT those clearance requirements come from:

BS 6172: 2004 – Installation and maintenance of domestic gas cooking appliances

Our house had a new kitchen fitted about a year before we moved in. The kitchen socket and cooker switch has been placed on the wall directly behind the hob at a height of about 300mm. It gets nice and wet when you have the pans on and you get scorched if you reach across to use it.

The sad thing is the installation was carried out by niceic sparks and subsequently inspected and again approved without any problems! And the government are worried about diy installations and safety and bring in part p. :evil:

NICEIC guy obviously only knew the Wiring Regs - you should have used a kitchen fitter :LOL:

But seriously - if any part of the Building Regs requires compliance with gas regulations, then in the same situation now you could demand that the socket be moved, and decor made good.

We won't mention that fact that only a complete f**kwit would have put a socket there in the first place...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back