sockets near kitchen sinks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there is there a requied distance for a socket outlet from a kitchen sink .. i have a memory of 1.5 meters but cant find the reg for it

Sponsored Links
sparky_bloke said:
hi there is there a requied distance for a socket outlet from a kitchen sink .. i have a memory of 1.5 meters but cant find the reg for it

No, there is no reg for it. 1.5m is good practice (2m is better) - this figure (1.5m) is code in many European countries and also America.

This is one of the NICEIC frequently asked questions. Here is their response:
http://www.niceic.org.uk/approved/quest2.html

fubar said:
sparky_bloke said:

No, there is no reg for it. 1.5m is good practice (2m is better).

please tell me your taking the part p?

2 meters lol :confused:

even the higher breed at the nic only reccomend 200 mm

Well, the UK might have the best wiring regulations in the world, but in a few areas we fail to meet the mark. As my (edited) post above says, in some other parts of the world 1.5m (or 5ft) is code.

Sponsored Links
fubar said:

Well, the UK might have the best wiring regulations in the world, but in a few areas we fail to meet the mark. As my (edited) post above says, in some other parts of the world 1.5m (or 5ft) is code.

we let slip...i think its one of the few spot on ones...
you can use it with wet hands, but unless you decide to cup your hands and splash water on em your pretty safe

the only moronic thing is not banning them behind sinks...

supersparks said:
Agreed

...i think its one of the few spot on ones...
Or perhaps using the same rationale as for showers in bedrooms - any circuits supplying accessories within, say, 2m of a water outlet must be protected by an RCD?

fubar said:
supersparks said:
Agreed

...i think its one of the few spot on ones...
Or perhaps using the same rationale as for showers in bedrooms - any circuits supplying accessories within, say, 2m of a water outlet must be protected by an RCD?
yup i agree, i think thats the way we are going anyway :LOL:

No i don't think we are. We are going to move into tinier and tinier houses with tinier and tinier kitchens. The rule pragmatically acepts that no one will put up with a stupid rule which bans sockets in their tiny kitchen. Some europen countries also do not put up with bans on sockets in their bathrooms.

As long as your appliance in the bathroom is via a fixed RCD protected connection and in Z3 or Outside the zones, there is no problem.

hello again if the nic are saying that a socket next to a kitchen sink only needs to 300mm away . dosnt that mean you could have an appliance pluged in and on in the sink . surely that is not good . :?:

sparky_bloke said:
hello again if the nic are saying that a socket next to a kitchen sink only needs to 300mm away . dosnt that mean you could have an appliance pluged in and on in the sink . surely that is not good . :?:
You're right, it is not good, so don't put appliances in the sink....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back