Kitchen splashback...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm trying to think of a quick solution to revamp the kitchen!

It isn't too bad but I'm not liking the tiles!

I know to do the job properly they should be removed... at the moment the previous owner has tiled over tiles and I know that when I start the kitchen properly, there are going to be horrors discovered!!

Unfortunately I have a hundred and one things to sort out before I start ripping apart the kitchen.

I just stumbled across splash backs and wondered firstly if these can be placed straight over tiles? ... thinking that this may be a short term solution!

also, sorry to sound dumb but I have seen pics where these go straight across the kitchen but none of the pics have plug sockets... say if you have a glass splash back/wall panel... what happens with the sockets? Am I missing something...

Sponsored Links
You only really need splashbacks behind areas prone to splashes - the sink and cooker. Sockets don't tend to be within these areas.

Sponsored Links
First of all as a short term solution, I would suggest when you place the splashbacks over the tiles MAKE SURE you completely expel any air between the tiles and splashack.

TBH it would be best if you took out the tiles completely, it's going to be difficult to seal the splashback otherwise. There was another forum that was discussing the same thing ( http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1609716 ).

If you're brilliant with your DIY, then I'd say give it a go, but if you haven't done this before I would deffo consult a professional. Hope it all goes well!

I have fitted those self-adhesive glass splash backs that go behind the cooker and would suggest that some sort of support is used to stop them slipping down the tiles and eventually coming away from the wall. I normally use a couple of small brackets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back