Heatproof splashback - metal or what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just redone the kitchen and painted the tiles which have come out great.One problem is behind the ceramic hob the white tile paint is discolouring due to the heat. I think the best solution may be to fit a stainless steel splashback. Any thoughts or other suggestions on different materials and any info on the cheapest place to get stainless?
Thanks a lot for any help.

Sponsored Links
teddy - most of these things have wrapped edges ... the stainless is folded top, bottom & 2 sides around a backing board. They're not a single thin sheet of s/steel which is easy enough to cut with big Gilbow snips (or electric shears or nibbler). The wrapped edge jobbies can be cut with a hacksaw (turn the blade at 90° to the saw frame to cut right across) or a jigsaw. We use a metal cutting blade in a bandsaw and finish with a slither taken off with a router. Tip when using hacksaw/jigsaw method = cut along a straight wooden guide which has been clamped to the splashback to avoid a 'wandering' cut.

Position your cut at the base of the splashback (behind the hob) so that the cut edge can be disguised with a bead of silicone sealant - use clear colour against stainless.

Sponsored Links
After quotes of up to £198 I had settled on the B&Q option and then do some cutting.However I first contacted a local metal shop and they are supplying it exactly as I need for £20 all in - result!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back