Kitchen splashbacks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering glass splashbacks in our kitchen. Biggest problem is the cost! BUT - the old secondary double glazing is still hanging around somewhere and I wonder if I could take that glass to someone to cut to size and finish the edges. Would it be suitable?

Sponsored Links
Hi Linlin,

I think it would be far cheaper and simpler to obtain new glass splash-backs rather than dismantling bits of old double glazing and re-assembling them for the purpose.

The materials needed for double-glazed windows and a kitchen splash-backs are completely different. Also, IMHO, glass splash-backs are a nightmare to keep clean and free of grease if you are doing any serious cooking.

My sister has proper glass splash backs and it always looks a spotty mess, no matter how often (or with what) you attempt to clean it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - a man of many words (at least more than foxy!).

So given a choice of glass or perspex - glass behind the hob and perspex elsewhere?

So given a choice of glass or perspex - glass behind the hob and perspex elsewhere?

I would never use perspex in a kitchen - ever.

Perspex (i.e. clear-cast acrylic sheet) scratches and fogs if you even dare to breath upon it. It looks magnificent when new, but soon degrades with wear and tear.

Clear cast acrylic is a beautiful material, but it's not designed to stand the hard knocks of day-to-day use.

Stick with glass in the cooking area, or even better, ceramics.

I would never use perspex in a kitchen - ever.

Perspex (i.e. clear-cast acrylic sheet) scratches and fogs if you even dare to breath upon it. It looks magnificent when new, but soon degrades with wear and tear.

Clear cast acrylic is a beautiful material, but it's not designed to stand the hard knocks of day-to-day use.

Stick with glass in the cooking area, or even better, ceramics.

Extractor fans, extract steam. What wear and tear and hard knocks? It'll be on the walls and have less hard knocks than wallpaper. Tiles make good, old-fashioned splashbacks......but that's what they are, old-fashioned. I need more light in this kitchen than I can get through the window. Glass is £63 sq mtr!!

Extractor fans, extract steam. What wear and tear and hard knocks? It'll be on the walls and have less hard knocks than wallpaper. Tiles make good, old-fashioned splashbacks......but that's what they are, old-fashioned. I need more light in this kitchen than I can get through the window. Glass is £63 sq mtr!!

Clearly you have a plan here - so maybe explain it more.

If you're trying to recycle or reuse material, that's all good, but you need to bear in mind the practicality of it all.

Glass is expensive, but acrylic is too. Anyway, you can get your glass for far less than £63/m2, that's for sure. If glass was that price in the trade, we'd all have plastic windows ;)

I'll get other quotes, but that's what I've been quoted before charges for cutting etc. Maybe there's a monopoly here - not mainland UK.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back