Kitchen socket help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
SWMBO wants to have glass splashbacks in the kitchen, so we got a chap round to price them up. Only problem seems to be the sockets already mounted on the wall - he can cut the glass around them OK, but we need to take the face plates off to allow the glass to be fitted.
This would involve removing the fascias, fitting the splashbacks and then refitting the fascias.
Is it acceptable/legal for this to be done by a DIYer or does this need an electrician as it is in the kitchen? And if it is DIY'd, would I need to notify Building Control?
Cheers for any help
Simon

Sponsored Links
Yes the holes are frighteningly expensive! So much that I don't want to consider it costing any more.
Thanks for the advice cumbriahandyman.

regards

simon

Sponsored Links
around £100 a hole isn't it.

Blimey! Surely it can't take long to cut the holes with the right gear. Maybe they require tamplating and cutting off-site. Still a good whack.

As others have said, can do DIY jjust make sure the relevant circuits are dead, and be careful not to nip any cables when re-attaching the socket faces.

Blimey! Surely it can't take long to cut the holes with the right gear. Maybe they require tamplating and cutting off-site.
AIUI they do, as the holes are cut and then the glass goes through the toughening process.

I was dead keen to have glass splashbacks, and when I looked at the headline prices I thought "OK - that's not too bad".

Then came the small print of the cost of holes.....

one of my jobs.
First class workmanship in the securing of those sockets.... ;)

Seriously though - they should NOT have been energised in that state.

the glass splash backs werent fitted at this point.
So they wanted glass splash backs, but didn't want to pay for a proper job, and ruined the appearance of the whole thing by fitting those disgusting sockets.

And anyway - under-cabinet sockets - wow - so what?

What about under-cabinet grid switches? Under-cabinet cooker switches?

I didn't fit the sockets, the electrician did.

That's what the customer wanted and was happy with the result.

The other switches were mounted to the right of the fridge freezer unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back