Kitchen under cabinet lighting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps,
I'm thinking about fitting under cabinet lights in the kitchen. They'll be LED, fed via a transformer.
I'm a bit concerned on the legal side of things, as its wiring in a kitchen.
The kit comes with a transformer that plugs into a mains socket, would fitting this still need checking by an electrician? Plus I always thought kitchen wiring was notifiable?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks, Dave

Sponsored Links
Kitchens are no longer included for themselves.

It would only be notifiable if it were a new circuit, which it isn't.

Ok thank you for that.
Just to check though, would it still need a Minor installations work certificate?

I just want to get everything right as we're planning to move house next year.

Sponsored Links
So would it still need a test certificate even though the transformer is just plugged into a wall socket?

Doubt if it is a transformer which provide AC. LEDs need DC from a power supply.

Hi, Not sure where you got the AC bit from? Its a transformer that plugs into a mains wall socket and that will provide DC for the LEDs.

Plus I always thought kitchen wiring was notifiable?
At one time it was, but not any more as most of the notifiable items were removed in 2013, unless you live in Wales where the older rules still apply, and that all assumes people could be bothered to notify anything at all, which in general they did not and still don't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back