Kitchen under cabinet lighting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am currently looking at installing a new kitchen, and also getting the kitchen rewired on its own MCB by an Electrician.

I want to have under cabinet lights wired from a wall switch.
I have seen the link lights for sale but these all come with a plug and link leads, Can these be hard wired in? Or is there a different set of lights I need? Am i restricting myself too much with what lights I can have under the cabinets?

Are there any under cabinet lights which can be hard wired in?

Many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I have seen the link lights for sale but these all come with a plug and link leads,
These don't.

Can these be hard wired in?
Any can be controlled by a wall switch - the ones which don't have a wall-wart power supply are easier, but your electrician will be able to wire in whatever you choose. He may also have suggestions - discuss it with him.

Yes the ones you mention could be "hard wired" - the plug is there for retro-fit convenience. And yes, there are other makes and models out there to choose from. My preferred choice use T5 tubes and come from Electric Center where they're sold under their own ACEL brand name, but a bit of shopping around should find you something you like.

PJ

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,
Just wondering how these would be wired in to the twin and earth coming out of the wall. I guess there would have to be a flex outlet or something to connect them up. Would that be correct?

I have done a wiring course as part of my apprentiship 15 years ago, but can't remember somethings. But still like to try and work things out even if I am not doing the wiring.

Thanks guys,
Just wondering how these would be wired in to the twin and earth coming out of the wall. I guess there would have to be a flex outlet or something to connect them up. Would that be correct?

I have done a wiring course as part of my apprentiship 15 years ago, but can't remember somethings. But still like to try and work things out even if I am not doing the wiring.

I just snipped the end off one of the link leads and used a little junction box hidden behind the pelmet. As I recall they don't actually have an earth. You'll need a fused outlet if you're coming off the power circuit though.

Thanks guys,

You would parallel wire the T&E to jb's on top of the kitchen cupboards if you wanted them to come on from one switch. Several of these brands also have their own switch built in.

Thanks guys,

You would parallel wire the T&E to jb's on top of the kitchen cupboards if you wanted them to come on from one switch. Several of these brands also have their own switch built in.

They link together series, the type pictured anyway. I'd guess that's standard in pelmet lighting.

Thanks for your help guys. As the wall cabinets will almost be touching the ceiling I think I will just use a small juction box hidden behind the pelmet like Beelzebub666 suggested.

Or i was looking at these
fluorescent_link_light_large.jpg

You can buy plugs that wire straight in to T&E. "Special compact plugs and sockets (available seperately) ensure easy plug-in butt jointing to a total load of 1000W"

However they are also a little bulky. I'll have to see how big the Pelmet is.

What do you guys think?
Ads

You can buy plugs that wire straight in to T&E.
What is this fixation with T&E that you have, and how/where/why it can/must/might/can't be used?

1. You tell your electrician that you want under cabinet lighting controlled by a switch on the wall.
  2. He suggests some products.
  3. You choose what lights you want.
  4. He installs them.
  5. You use them.

My electician has not suggested any products yet. In any case the lights can't be installed until I have fitted the kitchen, which is after it has been rewired.
I am assuming that T&E will come out of the wall where I want the under cabinet lights and therefore will need wiring up to the lights. Some lights I have seen come with a lead with a plug on the end and wondered if these could be hard wired in to the lighting circuit.

My previous flat had under cabinet lights that were fitted when it was built and had the ones in my picture. I wasn't sure if there were only certain types which could be used for this. i.e ones with a plug that can be wired in to the T&E.
I was also thinking of the future, as I don't want to rewire the kitchen if I ever want to change it again. Therefore I was trying to work out the best lights to have sould they become unavailable in the future.

With the type I have shown in the picture the wires would not need to be joined using a juction box and so thought this may be a better way to go. Do you have any suggestions?

I am assuming that T&E will come out of the wall
Why assume that type of cable?

Some lights I have seen come with a lead with a plug on the end and wondered if these could be hard wired in to the lighting circuit.
Any can be controlled by a wall switch - the ones which don't have a wall-wart power supply are easier.

My previous flat had under cabinet lights that were fitted when it was built and had the ones in my picture. I wasn't sure if there were only certain types which could be used for this. i.e ones with a plug that can be wired in to the T&E.
Please stop obsessing about T&E.

Do you have any suggestions?
I suggest you discuss it with your electrician, tell him where the cupboards will be and have him provide outlet plates in suitable places for you to connect lights to.

I assumed T&E as it will be burried in the wall, from the switch and lighting circuit.

I will discuss with my electrician, but wanted to get an idea of what is possible before I do this. I like doing research so that i get exactly what I am expecting. Thank you to everyone for the advise.

Don't worry about mr sheds, he doesn't like DIYers and gets kind of obsessive about T&E.
It's a simple connection, snip the end of one of the link leads if necessary and use a junction box. All you'd ever have to rewire with new lights is from the JB and you have easy access to it under the pelmet.

I suspect from all the questions you're doing this yourself, just make sure you know how to safely isolate the circuit and that you're coming off the lights rather than power, or you need a fused spur. And if you're not sure, get an electrician, it'll only take him an hour to connect a few pelmet lights to some T&E. Everyone loves T&E.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back