under cabinet lighting

12 Aug 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have got three fluorescent tube type under-cabinet lighting units that I want to wire to the main kitchen light switch so as I turn on the main light the cabinet lights come on as well. They daisy chain together and the last one has a wire coming out with exposed ends where it was previously wired up (the units and lights are second hand!).

Is this an easy job that I could do myself or do I need an electrician. I am capable of chasing in wires and making connections etc but not too sure how to go about it.

Even if you suggest an electrician I would like to know the principle.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Sponsored Links
Because the location is a kitchen, it is deemed a special location and becomes notified work.
So your best and most cost effective thing to do, would be employ an electrician that is registered with a domestic scheme provider and they can sign the work off.
You can do it yourself, but the application fee building control will charge does not make it a cost effective alternative.
You need to run a feed up to the existing light, then the switched live-neutral and earth will perform as the main light does.

It might be sensible to add a switch if there isn't one on the under cabinet fittings so that the choice is available to turn off the cabinet lights with the main light on.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local