Kitchen Spot Light Circuit Failure.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I live in a new flat and my kitchen lights have stopped working. The builders went into liquidation so its not easy getting things fixed.

My kitchen lights consist of under cabinet spot lights and ceiling mounted spot lights, controlled through a LEAX scenemaster control unit also controlling the living room lights.

All of the kitchen ceiling lights no longer work. LEAX came out and tested their switch but said the fault lied within the circuit of the spot lights and a short circuit was being returned to their unit which was making it cut the power to the ceiling spots. It is a common problem with 3 out of 12 flats now having the same problem. Cheap transformers maybe?

My question is how is this type of set-up likely to be wired in?

I have removed one spot and managed to thread through the hole a small rectangular box which each spot has connected which I assume is a transformer?

Am I correct in thinking its unlikely to be any of those transformers as had one gone it would have only stopped that single light working and not the whole circuit.

So if thats the case is their another transformer or anything connected to the whole circuit. I know their is a single transformer connected to the under cabinet lights which is hidden away at one end of the units. I can also see wires going down to the other end of the units which I thought maybe leads to a transformer or something related to the ceiling lights. It will make a bit of a mess getting to it so Im reluctant to get at it unless someone thinks it could be the cause.

So basically Im asking how would these type of lights normally be wired, is their usually some simple fix such as replacing a transformer and if so are these transformers expensive.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated as Id like to have a go at this myself before paying for an electrician.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if its a short probably an overheated cable.

you will need to trace all cables to find out, or dissconect them all and put them back one by one, when it fails the one you just did has the problem

firstly, are you certain that they are low voltage lights?

the "white box" may simply be a "chock box" connector box.

if it is low voltage, then any one of the transformers may have gone if the scenemaster is smart enough to read a short and not turn on..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back