Fire rated low voltage spot lights

JVH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - we want to replace the traditional ceiling rose light in our hall with 4 spot lights in a line. I am not clear which would be easier to install, mains or low voltage, and whether fire rated lights still require a fire hood. I have bought 4 low voltage fire rated spots, each with its own transformer. I had hoped to use just one transformer, and also hoped to avoid putting an additional loop in the circuit, but am not too sure what the next step needs to be. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Please correct me if I'm wrong (the usual suspects)...A normal 2 storey house is a single fire compartment and as such fire hoods are not required. However:
1. If you putting them in the ceiling of an integral garage
2. You have a loft conversion
3. You have a 3 storey house
4. You have a habitable dwelling above you (ie FlaT)
THEN THE ANSWER IS YES

Pompeygit is correct. In fact you probably do not even need fire-rated downlights... however, you've got them now.

So the next job is to install them.

You'll need to re-route all the cables going to the existing light position to the location of your first downlight. Get a terminal box that is small enough to go through the hole and connect it up, also connect the first light to this and run a length of the correct cable (twin and earth) to the next light position, use another terminal box here to connect up light 2 and then run another length of cable to the next position, etc etc.

Note that you MUST include the earth conductor from start to finish.
How to do most of this is here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Oh yes, You probably need to pull up some floor above the room to allow you to
1. Identify where the joists are (you can bet there's a joist running right down the middle of the ceiling where you thought you were going to put your spots!)
2. Find out where the pipes and other obstructions are
3. Allow you to drill thru the joists so you can run your cables (note these must be more than 50mm from the ceiling and the floor)

Thanks for your help - I have one more question though - does each lamp need its own resistor? I currently have one resistor per lamp, should I connect these in circuit with each lamp (ie terminal - cable - resistor - cable - lamp - cable - terminal etc etc).

Or - is it possible to connect firstly to one resistor (one that has the correct capacity), then feed each of the lamps in circuit from this?

Advice is much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
:oops:

Er - yes, I meant transformer! I have 4 lamps and 4 transformers Thanks for spotting that one - it was the end of a long day!

It would be best to use the transformers that yuou have already.

You would need to go and buy a much more powerful transformenr that could drive all four lamps. That's pointless as you'd have to throw the 4 you've got away. You will have other issues as you'll need quite thick wire to the furthest light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back