Low Voltage Spot Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently purchased and fitted two sets of halogen spot lights in my hall way. The reason for two sets is that they come in sets of 4 from wickes and are supplied with 4 lamps and a low voltage transformer for each. These were both wired into a junction box using the pre wired loom into the original hall way lighting circuit.

The problem i have is as follows:

If all 8 lamps are connected, one set will come on approx 2 seconds later than the other 4 bulbs and the original hall way light. The weird bit is that If i then disconnect one bulb (any of the 4) of the set that come on late the remaining lights will all work great with no delay.

Do you think this may be a problem with the transformer or a wiring problem.

Please help!!!

Sponsored Links
There are probably 'soft start' electronic transformers on each 'string', and the manufacturing tolerances may be at either end of their specification for the time taken to reach full operating voltage.
Reducing the load on the 'slower' one may allow it to reach its full operating voltage sooner.

So it's not really a 'fault' - it's more like an 'undocumented facility'

If you change one transformer, maybe the new one would more closely match the other - but maybe it won't

My uncle had 6 transformers left over from jobs, he used them all in his kitchen downlight project. All 6 lights come on seperately, even though they are on the same switch! Each Tx is slightly differently spec'd.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back