Spot lights without earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am replacing lights in the kitchen and have a query. We have only two wires hanging from the ceiling - no earth wire available. I would like to install spot lights but am told that these need to be earthed in general.

What are my options (assuming I don't want to open up the ceiling and dig out or hook up an earth wire)?

Are there any spot lights that do not require to be earthed?
("Low voltage" ones perhaps that use a transformer?)

Many thanks for your help,
Peter

Sponsored Links
Your bog-standard plastic-bodied spotlight from a DIY shed would most likely be double insulated. That's what you need.

However, a lighting circuit without earth is potentially hazardous, especially if you have metallic light fixtures or switches attached to it.

If the switch boxes have metallic lugs & screws, then the screws should be changed for nylon ones to prevent contact with unearthed metal.

All light fittings & switches should be of the type not requiring an earth connection.

But this is a temporary measure, really. The circuit/ installation should be renewed asap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back