Spot Lights

Lets forget about the light fittings for now...

and say that you have a supply L & N and a switch

now if you take a L from the supply to the switch, the switch will switch that,,, so you connect your blue (sleeved brown) to it.

At the other end you will now have a L, N & switched live (blue, sleeved brown)

Now if you think about it you should be able to figure which to connect you light fittings to..

AND BTW do not cut the earths short... sleeve them green/yellow and terminate them in some terminal strip..... yes even at the fittings!!!

Sponsored Links
I fear he may have wired in 2 core.

Electrician1, can you confirm the type of cable you have used?

Im not 100%, but I have also had a long day, I will look at it again tomorrow with a clear head, and if needs be get back to you, thank you for your time.

It only has 2 Brown and Blue. as the spots are not earthed . When the switch is "off" the breaker goes. The lights come on when the switch is on "on"

Has he put the earth wire into l2

So you are saying that it only needs one feed (Live to L1!) what about from the celling rose,. Do I only connect the Live there as well, ?

Are you sure (steve et al) it is so Banesk to question this person competence and check he is not doing this work for a third party (unknown). Surly it is correct to ask some questions. I stand by my question that we need to know if he has a multimeter/tester or not. Some simple tests will resolve this a great deal easier than drawing diagrams that he clearly does not comprehend.

Sponsored Links
How can he not comprehend them - he's an electrician.

Maybe he can't comprehend them any more than nobody seems able to comprehend that he's actually another one of the pathetic and inadequate little trolls that pop up now and then.

How can he not comprehend them - he's an electrician.

Maybe he can't comprehend them any more than nobody seems able to comprehend that he's actually another one of the pathetic and inadequate little trolls that pop up now and then.

Its peoplelike you who give others a bad name, just because someone cant do one thing does not make them inadequate, people like you should shut up if they have not got anything good to say.

You call yourself "Electrician1".

Either you are not, which makes you a liar, or you are but you are pretending to be incompetent for your own amusement, which makes you a liar.

It only has 2 Brown and Blue. as the spots are not earthed . When the switch is "off" the breaker goes. The lights come on when the switch is on "on"

Has he put the earth wire into l2
No. If he had, the light would never work in either position.

So you are saying that it only needs one feed (Live to L1!) what about from the celling rose,. Do I only connect the Live there as well, ?

Are you sure (steve et al) it is so Banesk to question this person competence and check he is not doing this work for a third party (unknown). Surly it is correct to ask some questions. I stand by my question that we need to know if he has a multimeter/tester or not. Some simple tests will resolve this a great deal easier than drawing diagrams that he clearly does not comprehend.
I made that diagram as easy as possible to understand. That, however, was my last attempt at helping him. If he cannot comprehend simple GCSE physics, he has no chance at wiring these lights, and needs a real electrician. I would sincerely hope that he is not doing this in somebody elses home, given his level of incompetence. I am all for helping DIYers, that is what this site is about, but you have to draw the line when even simple GCSE wiring, which is taught to everyone, is not understood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back