Spot Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some help. I have installed 4 individual spot lights (they do not need transformers) I have taken the main feed from the ceiling rose to the light switch and the first spot light, (these are only class 2 so no earth is needed) I have then daisy chained the other spot lights. when I went to turn the breaker back on. I went up stairs and the lights were on, I switched the switch and the breaker blew. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG OR WHAT HAVE I MISSED.... PLEASE HELP.... Thanks,.,,,,.... :)

Sponsored Links
Why is your username Electrician1?

This implies you would be able to do this very simple task.

How did you wire the switch?

<I know whats wrong, I just want you to tell me what you did so you can learn from this>

Is this in a customer's house? If it is get them to call an electrician.

If it is you own house. You have shorted the mains with your wiring. Please post some pictures as it is Saturday night.

Martin

Why is your username Electrician1?

This implies you would be able to do this very simple task.

How did you wire the switch?

<I know whats wrong, I just want you to tell me what you did so you can learn from this>

Thanks I need to learn from it. The switch is wired Live into L1 and Net into Common. (I switched them around but the result was the same.)

Sponsored Links
Thanks I need to learn from it. The switch is wired Live into L1 and Net into Common. (I switched them around but the result was the same.)[/quote]

Thanks I need to learn from it. The switch is wired Live into L1 and Net into Common. (I switched them around but the result was the same.)

Right, you have

Live into L1 (brown)

Neutral into Common (blue)

What does the switch do when you switch it on? It connects L1 and Com together. This is a Short Circuit.

How many cores do you have at the switch in total?

__ brown

__ blue

__ green/yellow (I trust you bought some earth sleeve if using twin and earth)

[/quote]

Are you planning on answering any questions put to you?

Here Is another for you to ignor or answer. Do you have a meter of any description, if so what is it multimeter or multifunction etc?

No one can help you, if you do not help us

Martin

Are you planning on answering any questions put to you?

Here Is another for you to ignor or answer. Do you have a meter of any description, if so what is it multimeter or multifunction etc?

No one can help you, if you do not help us

Martin
Why does he need a meter to sort this? You having a bad day? We're here to help, not all act like little "ban all sheds"s.

We know whats wrong. And I'm going to help him sort it. I'm guessing all his wiring is exposed so it will be easy.

Good, glad you are there to help.

I am having a fab day Thanks

All I am saying is for an individual to have these probs at home is one thing.

OK

Martin

Notice I have a name not a statement of my dislikes. I speak for myself.

It only has 2 Brown and Blue. as the spots are not earthed . When the switch is "off" the breaker goes. The lights come on when the switch is on "on"

It only has 2 Brown and Blue. as the spots are not earthed . When the switch is "off" the breaker goes. The lights come on when the switch is on "on"
If you say so.

Think about it.

When the switch is off - the contacts within the switch are open, nothing can flow between Com and L1. This is when your lights work. Because you have a constant live to the lights, and a constant neutral. Though the switch is in the off position.

When you flick the switch "on", the contacts make. And this creates the short circuit between L1 and COM, which will make several hundred amps flow for a split second and trip the breaker. This is a bad thing, by the way, so stop doing it.

Do you understand this?

Now, what you need to understand is that in lighting circuits, we do not switch the neutral. This is why your light switch does not have a N terminal. So take all the neutrals out.

Given what I said above, that the switch simply makes and breaks a contact between L1 and COM, can you think what you now need to do to make the witch work properly?

So you are saying that it only needs one feed (Live to L1!) what about from the celling rose,. Do I only connect the Live there as well, ?

You connect both blue cables together in a piece of terminal block and push it out the way somewhere at the rear of the backbox. You put one brown in com and the other in L1.

The earth wires should be sleeved in green/yellow and be continuous throughout the installation, even if not required by the fittings the wiring is connected to.

Oh man, I give in. Connect one Live to Com, and the other Live to L1.

Connect your neutrals seperately in a bit of terminal block (sold seperately to the switch)

Can you see with this arrangement, that when the switch closes it will pass power from Com and L1, and thus your lights will become live?

I'm working on diagrams to show you

WIRING.jpg

I hope you understand this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back