Kitchen Table with Insert Nuts

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi Folks,

We spent a nice bit of money on an solid wood kitchen table about 8 or 9 years ago, probably €1500 or €2000. To make a long story short the leg fell off.

The leg is attached to the table by way of some 7.5 x 70mm bolts and 10 x 24 mm type-d wood insert nuts. On closer inspection, I found the insert nuts exterior threads are all broken, I am not sure when or how this happened.

My concern is that, there is a bit of play around the insert nuts when they go in, they don't feel snug with in the hole. I am not sure this is just because the threads are missing.

I could order replacement nuts on Amazon, but I wouldn't be 100% they would anchor in there when the come.

Photo : Leg, Bolt and Nut
Photo: Nut with broken threads

Any suggestions, short of boring a new hole?

Ray K

Sponsored Links
It might be a good move to order some new nuts, and also glue them in with Araldite, Ray.
I can't see why the threads would wear though - they are meant to self cut, if I recall.
John :)

Yes I think that araldite would sort it out.
You should be able to either use the existing ones and glue, or but some new ones with a matching internal thread.

Sponsored Links
rkinsella, good evening.

The damage appears to have been caused by the damaged leg having been subjected to some sort of stress, such as the table being lifted and dropped on to that leg??

As for repair? Several options.

1/. Glue the inserts back in??? do not get any glue into the internal threads !!!
2/. Find larger external diameter inserts with similar internal thread size?
3/. Glue in a dowel of appropriate diameter, then re-drill and fix the insert [this method is a Fhaff]

As for 2/. above check out the options on "Helicoil" a method i have used to fix steel threaded bolts Etc. into timber, it works really well.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back