Kitchen tap dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive my ignorance, my kitchen tap is dripping and from what I read online, a new washer is most likely needed.

I think it's the hot water tap head/disc because when I switch off the hot water supply from underneath the sink the drippage stops.

My problem is that I have yet been able to figure out how to remove the cap/disc whatever you call that allows you to turn on the tap.

I managed to go as far as the pictures show below, but it's very unclear to me how to remove the entire cap.

What I did was unscrew the little silver thing. Inside there's a screw which is easily removed with an Allen Key. I would have thought that by then, the whole cap would come off allowing me to access the bit where I'd have to replace the washer or give me more insight as to how to proceed.

At the moment I'm stuck and I dont know how to remove the entire thing.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you have removed the internal fixing screw, it will now be removable. The likelihood is the the tap head has sized on and will require some persuasion to come off.
When get to the headgear there should be a cir clip that will also need removing before you can spanner the valve off. I would think this type of tap will have ceramic disc rather than a washer though!
You will need to isolate both hot and cold water as well to be on safe side.

If you have removed the internal fixing screw, it will now be removable. The likelihood is the the tap head has sized on and will require some persuasion to come off.
When get to the headgear there should be a cir clip that will also need removing before you can spanner the valve off. I would think this type of tap will have ceramic disc rather than a washer though!
You will need to isolate both hot and cold water as well to be on safe side.

How would I remove the circular clip?

Thank you - I will give it a bit of WD-40 and try to take it out without destroying anything.

If it's not a washer and it's a ceramic disc, what do I need to replace then? I thought ceramic discs are for life and not easily destroyed.

There is a tool for removing cir-clips but they can be removed by prising off using a flat edged tool, such as screwdriver or knife. Do watch out for it flying off though, as you may loose it, the same method would be used to refit, prising the clip open gently.
Generally as a repair, you would replace the whole valve, there should be some coding on it to inform you of it's type. If not you may need to take the valve with you to a plumbers merchant.
Also they are handed and yours would be left hand, probably quarter turn (if the lever only moves 90 degrees from the off to full on position).

Sponsored Links
You may find this video helpful, not quite the same tap but once head-gear has been removed they will be similar.
useful video

Yes it moves round-about 90 degrees so it is quarter turn.

Thanks very much - When I'm home this evening, I will attempt to remove the full cap with WD-40 - I just didn't want to destroy the tap without being too sure -

and carry on removing the cir-clips and get the valve off. Luckily there's a plumbing merchant just one minute walk from my house so will take it there for a like for like replacement.

Will keep you posted with my progress!

Sometimes if WD40 doesn't do the trick very hot water can help, especially if the cartridge itself is hard to remove.

If you have removed the screw then then it should come off with a bit of careful prising
I thought ceramic discs are for life and not easily destroyed
That's what the manufacturers would have us believe. I was once told that 'for life' means five years. In my experience, they go wrong a lot more and a lot quicker than the old washer.

If you still have any paperwork for the tap (make/model) you can contact the manufacturer who will post new valves to you.

If you have removed the screw then then it should come off with a bit of careful prising
I thought ceramic discs are for life and not easily destroyed
That's what the manufacturers would have us believe. I was once told that 'for life' means five years. In my experience, they go wrong a lot more and a lot quicker than the old washer.

If you still have any paperwork for the tap (make/model) you can contact the manufacturer who will post new valves to you.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any logos or models on the tap. I literally just moved into this house.

After a big fight with the tap, I managed to have it removed. You were right, it is a ceramic disc so I will go to the plumber merchant on Saturday and get a new one.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back