Bath tap dripping continously

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi All
i need some help please.

my bath tap has started dripping continuously and i suspect its the valve inside (if it has one) that needs replacing.

i removed the small cap at the back of the hot water tap and there was a tiny Allen key screw in there. i unscrewed this but i still cant remove the tap handle to get access to the valve.

please see pictures. is there a special way to replace this valve and can someone please show me?

Attachments

• IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 151
Sponsored Links
Ah the plague of the designer tap.....flood the hole where the grub screw was with WD40 and let it penetrate - the chances are the lever is stuck on with limescale.
The tap will be a ceramic cartridge type - check out Lunns.net for a possible replacement.
Be lucky!
John :)

thank you Bornerman. just managed to remove the valve although i cant get a replacement. spent all afternoon in shops and nobody has it.
its a 3/4 ceramic insert. i will keep looking online but looks like its not a common one. replace with the old one for now..

thank you

For a possible temporary repair:

a. Remove cartridge, soak in limesale remover such as Killrock for, say, 30 minutes. Wash off.

b. At the tap end of the cartridge there will be a rubber seal. This puts some pressure on the two ceramic discs to keep them in close contact. These seals tend to wear, exert insufficient pressure and allow a slight leak. Carefully wrap PTFE tap around the end of the cartridge with this seal, allowing it to spill over and form a bit of a washer around the end of the seal. Enough PTFE may give you sufficient pressure to stop the leak. Its a fiddly job, because you need to make sure the PTFE going over the end doesn't block the tap, but have to put enough tension into the tape to make sure it wraps over the end. Make sure you wrap it in the right direction, so that screwing the insert back in doesn't unwind the tape.

While its out, make all the measurements you need to get a replacement. Look at the TapMagician (or similar) web site for the measurements you'll need.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back