How to remove bath tap cartridge with no grub screw

Hi Guys, finally got round to tackling this today and I have managed to get the tap head off with ease however, the brass head gear is proving to be a pain to losen off. I am right in turning it anti clockwise?

Just put some more rock kill on it.

Off to get a 17m socket head for my socket wrench as I can't reach it properly with a spanner and its damaging the brass.

Attachments

• 20190407_092039.jpg
    20190407_092039.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 308
Sponsored Links
Yep, use the correct size socket and turn anticlock.
A good deluge of WD40 does no harm!
Best of luck getting a new insert - I’ve used Lunns.net with success before.
John :)

17mm socket just arrived from Amazon. Only cost a couple of quid and was worth it as I've got the baby out but don't have a clue where to get a replacement from? I'll have a look on Lunns.net as suggested, any other recommendations please?

Thanks
Joni

Attachments

• 20190408_135857.jpg
    20190408_135857.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just google tap inserts. Then select where you want to purchase from, but you need to measure the spline, get the correct sized thread etc.

Just to let you all know i sorted this out now so thankyou. Insert arrived today and was about £13 including delivery. All a perfect measurement by the top part where the plastic cap goes on, it was slightly bigger by 2 mm so had to really squeeze hard to get the cap on and screw it down. Could have done with pusing the tap head down a couple of mm more as there is a slight gap but its barely noticeable. Main thing is its stopped the dripping saving water and the annoying noise.

The push up plug broke also yesterday (strangely enough), bath is challenging me big time but i unscrewed the bolt and have found the part to replace on amazon for a few quid :)

Thanks
Again.

Yep, use the correct size socket and turn anticlock.
A good deluge of WD40 does no harm!
Best of luck getting a new insert - I’ve used Lunns.net with success before.
John :)

Hi John
Hope you don't mind, but I implore you, don't use WD40 with anything that has o-rings (nitrile or EPDM) in it. WD40 is hydro carbon based so that literally causes the rubber to break down (almost kinda dissolve).
In this instance, one is better off taking it out and soaking in warm descaler for an hour then rinsing really well. As you well know though, it's often not good enough as the ceramic disks literally wear away.
David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back