Kitchen Tap For Vented Hot Water Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having my kitchen replaced and I need a new tap. Cold water comes from mains with very good pressure. Hot comes from an vented hot water cylinder so pressure not so good. I understand I need a low pressure kitchen tap. I've found one that works at 0.5 bar min, in general would this suffice?

Sponsored Links
1. Measure the vertical distance between the base of your Cold Water Storage Cistern (CWSC) and the tip of the spout of your kitchen hot tap.
2. The distance (in metres) divided by 10 is roughly the pressure you have available.
3. For a two storey house:
3a. Tap to ceiling in kitchen - about 1.4 metres
3b. Height of first floor (including ground floor ceiling to upper side of floor) - about 2.5 metres.
3c. Distance from ceiling of first floor to base of CWSC - probably 0.2 metres
3d. Total of 1.4 + 2.5 + 0.2 = 4.1 metres = 0.41 bar.
3e. On the above basis 0.5 bar requirement cannot be met. Its close, and it might work, but its your risk.
4. If I were you I'd try and find a tap to work at 0.2 bar. This rules out single lever mixer taps and leaves two handle taps where the hot and cold only mix at the end of the spout.

0.5 will probably be ok. As above, 10m height= 1 bar. If your ceilings are standard 2.4m and dhw header is in the loft you'll get 0.5 bar. I was running a lever mixer one on 0.4 bar for a while with no problems (you must fix double check valve on the cold)

You need to be careful, your supplies are unbalanced and the cold mains could affect the gravity HW. Get a dual flow tap, they are typically low pressure taps and the flow's are kept separate until the end of the spout so no issue from pressure differentials.

Sponsored Links
Right ok, so general consensus is 0.5 bar should be ok. Just need to get this right as they are going to cut out tap hole for quartz worksurface so need to make sure it's going to work. Guess I could always connect it up to the supplies on flexis and run it into a bowl to check.

You need to be careful, your supplies are unbalanced and the cold mains could affect the gravity HW. Get a dual flow tap, they are typically low pressure taps and the flow's are kept separate until the end of the spout so no issue from pressure differentials.
I have a tap downstairs in the toilet which is a mono basin mixer. The cold is fine, the hot dribbles out, presumably this is the issue you are referring to?

Is it possible to get a pump on the hot feeds? I already have a dedicated pump for the shower upstairs I presume I cant run it off this as pumps both hot and cold to the shower, so I would need a single feed pump in the airing cupboard on top of this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back