Kitchen tap no hot water.... Isolation valve the culprit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.... I've got a problem with my kitchen tap and think it's the isolation valve causing the problem but just thought I'd ask for a professional opinion before draining and replacing.
When I turn the hot tap on I get a trickle of water. If I turn the cold water tap on it runs fine. Old style mixer tap with valves not cartridges... See photo.
First thing I did was check upstairs taps both hot and cold taps working fine. Then I looked under sink to check whether isolation valves were installed as I planned to replace tap,
DSC_0760-841x1495.JPG
DSC_0759-841x1495.JPG
but then I noticed the isolation valve had a coating of white substance (see photo) and when I turned screw a tiny drip of water leaked out of the screw thread.
Does it sound to you guys like it's the valve corroded/blocked that's preventing hot water getting to the tap?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Undo the hot tap 3/4 open and then pull up on the tap, it should let some water out. If so, aAs @terryplumb mentions, it's the tap washer. You can replace that itself or buy a set of tap revivers, or a whole new tap even.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.... I've had the tap stem off already, but didn't really tell me anything. The tap is quite old and green/corroded anyway so think I'll replace it and the isolation valve too as that's leaking quite a bit now too.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back