kitchen tap runs when shower is on upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When the kitchen tap is off downstairs and someone starts to run water upstairs the kitchen tap sparks into life and starts to dribble. We have a Worcester combi boiler.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this, its only just started to happen and is really annoying.

Any help really appreciated

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies,

didn't event think of the washers.

Its a mixer tap

Sponsored Links
Yeah but is it a ceramic (1/4 turn) or a standard (screw down washer) mixer tap? Is it when the hot or cold is turned on?

hi madrab,

Quick google search and I would say that its the ceramic tap. Its happens most when the shower is on so I would have to say its the hot water

Thanks

Does this only happen when your run the hot upstairs?

Sounds like you have unbalanced hot and cold water but if you have a combi boiler then I can't see why unless the cold is still fed from a tank?

To be honest, any water coming out of the kitchen tap when it is off is an indication of a fault in the tap, although why it should only happen when something else is turned on is weird!.

With a ceramic disc tap in a hard water area you could try removing the cartridge and soaking it in a descaler. But most likely you should just replace the cartridge.

Depending on tap design either you have a mixer cartridge (i.e. just one control for hot and cold) or a pair of tap cartridges (i.e. separate hot and cold controls on the mixer). With separate cartridges it could be difficult to identify which is at fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back