Kitchen wall advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've ripped out our old kitchen as part of dealing with some flooring issues. We're approaching the end of the flooring work and my attention is now turning to how best to rectify the walls.

The missus wants the walls painted and kitchen units with quartz work tops. This all requires plumb flat walls to start with.

The above are the worst 2 walls.

Now I'm sure a plasterer will take my money and skim the lot but is that the best way to proceed? I don't know so I'm here for some advice.

We have solid walls (1934 semi-detached) and some sites have warned against the use of gypsum on such surfaces but battening out or dot-and-dab plasterboard would cause headaches around the door frames.

Should I hack off all the existing surface (being careful around the electrical cables) and:-
  • Dot and dab to the bricks followed by a skim?
  • Sand and cement to the brick followed by a skim?
  • Bonding plaster on the brick followed by a skim?
Do I need to hack off the existing surfaces at all? Perhaps I could get away with hacking out any high spots and then skimming on top?

I'd appreciate the benefit of your collective experience?

Cheers (y)

Sponsored Links
looks like gypsum to start with and how long has that been there?
you could dot/dab and skim to get it as plumb as you need it.
or just knock the adhesive and high spots off and seal and skim.
if it’s not hollow i wouldn’t bother hacking any of it off.

looks like gypsum to start with and how long has that been there?
you could dot/dab and skim to get it as plumb as you need it.
or just knock the adhesive and high spots off and seal and skim.
if it’s not hollow i wouldn’t bother hacking any of it off.

Cheers. I was hoping it could be skimmed. I’ll level up as best I can and then get a plasterer to quote.

Presumably any hollow parts that are removed can just be bonded and then skimmed without having to bond the whole wall.

Sponsored Links
Cheers. I was hoping it could be skimmed. I’ll level up as best I can and then get a plasterer to quote.

Presumably any hollow parts that are removed can just be bonded and then skimmed without having to bond the whole wall.
yes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back