Kitchen waste outlet height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just fitting a new sink.
As you can see in the picture, the fittings (as it's a double sink) give me an outlet that is quite a bit lower than the outlet in the wall...
IMG_3206 (1).jpg

Bearing in mind that the old fittings we're that much higher (maybe three inches) - will this be a problem? ...can I get different fittings to give me a higher outlet or do I need to lower the outlet pipe through the wall?

Sponsored Links
1. Assuming the sink is at finished height you'll have to lower the outlet through the wall.
2. Have a look at the McAlpine Sk2. By cutting the SK2 pipes from the sink waste down a bit you could reduce the amount by which the wall outlet has to be lowered.

Sponsored Links
Can't see from photo... is it the dreaded lead waste pipe? If so, you'll still have to lower it and get outside and modify the external pipework :sick:

Hopefully it's not a 4th floor flat in the middle of a city!

As the initial bend from the sinks, are already lower than the original outlet, you've got to drill a new outlet, but as that pipework is wasting a hell of a lot of space in the cupboard, I'd be inclined to look for a neater setup first. Have a look in B&Q etc for alternative waste packs, and then drill the wall.

As the initial bend from the sinks, are already lower than the original outlet, you've got to drill a new outlet, but as that pipework is wasting a hell of a lot of space in the cupboard, I'd be inclined to look for a neater setup first. Have a look in B&Q etc for alternative waste packs, and then drill the wall.

Yes, you are right - its a hell of a contraption!

I've got it connected up now and it does work ok - drainage isn't in any way slow and I'm not getting any problems with the dishwasher... but the waste is sitting roughly half-way up the two downward pipes (I have taken about an inch off the bottom of these).
I got a suggestion on another forum that I could go for a shallower trap on each sink which would raise the output to the outlet - I think this would be a neater setup.

IMG_3208.jpg

That won't work for long. Your washing machine pipe will be full of water forever.

You would be better off fitting P traps to each outlet and joining them with a T. You will probably still have to lower the outlet though. Get a core bit from Toolstation.

Last edited:
The water sitting in the pipes, and the washing machine hose will start to stink soon, and that'll make the washing machine smell.

Altogether now... "where does schit travel?".......................................

Get rid of all that ****.

Put 2 1 1/2 traps on the bottom of the wastes and join the together.

Pretty soon, waste water is going to start overflowing out of the washing machine if you leave it like that.
Waste water works on gravity. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back