Kitchen Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, before I ask my question, I would first like to say that I am not planning on doing any of the electrical work myself, this is very much just seeing if I am thinking along the right lines, so when my brother in law comes (sparky) I can have the right floorboards lifted, and maybe have some chases cut.

That said, I am installing a 3 amp cooker hood, and some LED strip undercupboard lights, prob 4-5W in total. Could I run both of these off the lighting circuit using a single Fused spur to one junction box? Would wiring a PIR motion detector into into the undercupboard lights be an easy (cheap!) thing to do?

Thanks in advance for any useful information!

Sponsored Links
Could I run both of these off the lighting circuit using a single Fused spur to one junction box?
What sort of junction box? Where would it be?

Are you aware of the rules for concealed cables?

Would wiring a PIR motion detector into into the undercupboard lights be an easy (cheap!) thing to do?
Not particularly difficult or expensive, but more difficult, more expensive than a switch, and nowhere near as good.

What's wrong with a switch on the wall?

Hi Ban, to answer your questions:

1) I was thinking a blank plug socket style arrangement with a fuse in it.

Could both the lights and the hood be connected to a cable from the lighting circuit in it, or would they need separate ones?

2) Yes, I (think) I understand the rules about zones, being inline with visible boxes, corners and thin walls (party wall so that shouldnt be an issue!)

3) I think its just my love of making things needlessly complex. Not sure it would work with a dog anyway, just like the idea of them coming on whilst i nip through in the night to go to the loo so I dont stand on the dog! :eek:

3) I think its just my love of making things needlessly complex. Not sure it would work with a dog anyway, just like the idea of them coming on whilst i nip through in the night to go to the loo so I dont stand on the dog! :eek:

Why is your wife sleeping in the kitchen?

Sponsored Links
Would wiring a PIR motion detector into into the undercupboard lights be an easy (cheap!) thing to do?
!

Easy enough, but you don't need an outdoor type of PIR -

one of THESE will sort you out.

swipe your hand under the cupboard and the light goes on, another swipe and it's off. A bit like what Cameron does to Cleggy!

a blank plug socket style arrangement with a fuse in it.
That sounds like a fused connection unit. Which you described as supplying a junction box.

Could both the lights and the hood be connected to a cable from the lighting circuit in it, or would they need separate ones?
Depends on where cable(s) should most sensibly run. I take it the LED strips don't have a plug-in power supply?

This is notifiable work, so really you should discuss with your b-i-l how it should be done and what he is happy for you to do.

But give up the idea of a PIR.

Hi all, thanks for the tip Taylor- will take a look, but the dog, sorry, wife will soon kibosh anything interesting.

Ban- my rather incomplete knowlege of electrics is enough for me to realise that this is notifiable, hence asking here for advice. the B-i-L works 6 days a week at the mo, so just wanted a good idea of what i wanted/how to do it, but i realise that he will have the final say.

Basically, assuming for a mo that the LED lights dont have a plug, could I take a single fused spur from my lighting ring to supply both a cooker hood and lights (i imagine thats similar to asking how long a piece of string is), or would i need separate spurs for them both? Or option C which i dont know about....

The requirements allow that circuits can be isolated by a common means, if the condition allow.
But it is something I try to avoid, if possible. You could install two FCU by the side of each other, offering isolation to both cabinet lights and ex-fan.

Thanks Prentice and Ban, lots of useful things for me to think about.

Just need to beat B&Q down on the price of the ktichen units and we are ready to go.

Keep an eye on the projects tab for an update sometime this year :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back