Under-cupboard lights in kitchen: making safe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've discovered something I don't like very much in my kitchen. I have some undercupboard lights connected to the lighting circuit through a normal light switch. The connection between the light and the switch is in tiny, tiny white flex (0.75mm at a guess?) and I don't fancy its chances much if there was a fault - I think the flex is so thin that it would probably act as a fuse before the MCB popped. The lighting circuit is on a 5 amp MCB (yes, 5 amp - they're old Wylex ones) so with the prospective fault current there I think this little cable could actually be a fire risk.

Firstly, am I right in thinking this is dangerous?

Secondly, the way I see it I have two options:

a) the best one - disconnect the flex, spur a 2.5mm off from the adjacent socket to a 3A fused FCU and take the lights off that, or
b) disconnect them altogether.

Am I right in thinking that the first would be notifiable work, despite being a very small change?

What about the second?

I know it may seem like I'm worrying about nothing but I know the fault current could be in the tens of amps and I don't like the idea of an unprotected piece of thin flex carrying that.

Sponsored Links
There's nothing wrong with short lengths of 0.75mm flex on a circuit protected by a 5A MCB.

There's nothing wrong with short lengths of 0.75mm flex on a circuit protected by a 5A MCB.

That is assuming it is 0.75mm². How did you measure the csa.

Post a picture se we can have a laugh. (I mean make constructive comments) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If the OP is actually talking about 0.75mm² flex, there's actually nothing theoretically wrong in having long lengths of it protected by a 5A MCB, since its CCC is 6A.

However, I would not personally describe 0.75mm² flex as 'tiny' - so, like TTC, I wonder what the OP is measuring, and whether it really is anything like as large as 0.75mm².

Kind Regards, John.

If the OP is actually talking about 0.75mm² flex, there's actually nothing theoretically wrong in having long lengths of it protected by a 5A MCB, since its CCC is 6A.

However, I would not personally describe 0.75mm² flex as 'tiny' - so, like TTC, I wonder what the OP is measuring, and whether it really is anything like as large as 0.75mm².

Kind Regards, John.

Compared to 1.25mm² or 1.5mm² three-core flex, 0.75mm² oval flex is tiny.

Compared to 1.25mm² or 1.5mm² three-core flex, 0.75mm² oval flex is tiny.
If one substitutes 'small' for 'tiny', that does pretty well as a statement of the obvious - you could add the fact that 0.5mm² 3-core flex is 'even tinier' if you wish - but I still would not personally regard 0,75mm² as particularly 'tiny'. However, it's obviously subjective - how do you view the dangling cable in a pendant light - do you regard that as 'tiny', 'very tiny' or what?

Hopefully the OP will be able to clarify for us - since it's obviously important to the question being asked - fixed wiring anything less than 0.75mm² clearly would not be acceptable with 5A protection.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back