Under cupboard lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting a new kitchen in and will add under cupboard lights. I want to use LED strips which will need a power supply/transformer.

Now my question is related to the wall light switch. Currently there is a single light switch for the ceiling light. I want to change the switch for a double switch which will control both the ceiling and the undercupboards lights.

Kitchen is being redone and will be plastered so all cabling to go in first and a few sockets will be moved so whatever needs to be done should be done now.

1. Where should the power supply be powered from?
2. How shall it be connected to the new wall light switch?
3. What else needs to be done?

Sponsored Links
As it is very un-likely there is a Neutral in the existing switch you will have to replace the cable from the ceiling rose to the switch to provide an extra conductor to bring the neutral to the new switch

A better solution is to add a fused switched outlet to the circuit feeding the sockets and use this to supply via a switch the under- cupboard lights. That can be less wiring and gives two ( almost ) independent souces of light. If the main ights fuse the under cupboard lights shoud still be working.

Where in the UK are you located?

If you are in England or Wales then this work (electrical work in a kitchen) is notifiable to your LABC.

You have two choices:
1. Use a registered electrician to do the work
or
2. Notify your local authority, pay their fee, do the work yourself and the council will inspect the work and the testing you have done at various stages.

This is a small job and that (with respect) you don't have the competence to DIY it (I guessed that from your question). I suggest you get a registered electrician in to sort it for you.

Have a look in the light switch for some black or blue wires in a connector block. If you have this it is almost certainly neutral.

Remember, if there is only two wires at the switch, not counting the earth, there is no neutral.

Sponsored Links
I'd wire it in such a way so the transformer can be placed on top of the wall units. The 12v supply to the LED's can then be run down the back of the wall units. A qualified sparky should be able to run the wires for you and provide an outlet just above the height of the wall units. I always plan well ahead with electrics for kitchens and have advised customers where certain supplies have to preferably be positioned. Last kitchen I fitted had under cab lighting and also plinth lights. The plinth lights were run off a special transformer that had to plug into a wall socket, so I got the sparky to wire one up via a switch on the wall. The socket was placed 100mm off the floor level, in the middle of a 600mm base unit. (The socket is also identified as lighting only) Not tha anyone could plug a kettle into it behind the plinths. ;) ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back