Wiring kitchen under cupboard lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it acceptable to use a fused spur from the ring main circuit to power kitchen cupboard lights as it is not possible to get into the ceiling void to access the lighting circuit. If so can I switch these by changing existing switch to a two pole type thus one switching the lighting circuit and the other the fused spur?

Sponsored Links
yes it is acceptable to use a fused spur

i think what you propose is possible - change the lightswitch for a double pole 20A switch, feed the live from the FCU into one side, the live from the light circuit into the other.

Or do you mean a 2gang switch? It is also worth noting that as you will in effect have two circuits with different feeds in the same faceplate they should be advanced warning before accessing the terminals that there is more than one feed. Some sparks prefer to use grid switches for this as a label can be placed under the faceplate on the grid so it isn't unsightly and the grid is required to be unscrewed to access the terminals. Another point is this work should be notified to LABC before starting as it is notifiable under part p of the building regs.

Thank you for both replies. Yes I did mean a 2 gang switch. I will use a label and grid switch as you suggest.

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
It is also worth noting that as you will in effect have two circuits with different feeds in the same faceplate they should be advanced warning before accessing the terminals that there is more than one feed.
I was going to say this in my first post but i thought it might only be applicable to multiple phase installs, since the switch by my front door is fed by 2 lighting circuits - should this have such a label (as well as most of the homes in this country!)

I don't think i would like to come across a DP switch fed off TWO different circuits, multi phase or not. I would have thought if nothing else it would be good practice to avoid this sort of set up, and avoid putting your fellow sparkies in unessacery danger. As for a two gang switch with multiple feeds, provided this is correctly labeled then no problem. In my house i have a two gang switch at the bottom of my stairs fed from two lighting circuits with no label. I would think this is such a common set up within UK homes that most electricians would be aware of the multiple feeds likely to be lurking behind the face plate.

RF Lighting said:
I would think this is such a common set up within UK homes that most electricians would be aware of the multiple feeds likely to be lurking behind the face plate.
It should be common sense really, especially with hall/landing light setups. (out of interest, my gran's house has 2-way switch on the stairs, and to avoid this confusion, the 2 switches at the bottom of the steps are on seperate plates, those nasty 60's-70's flick type (american style))

But in a kitchen, i guess its not expected that the switch will be fed off 2 different circuits, so some warning should be provided, perhaps a note at the CU if gridswitch isn't used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back