Under cupboard lighting (Kitchen)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!...im curently installing a new kitchen and we have some under cupboard lights to install. There typical flourecent lights which link to each other.

I was planning on wiring them into my main lighting circuit, by replacing the light switch that controls my ceiling lights (2 lights, 2 switches) with a unit that has 3 switches (2 to control the ceiling and 1 to control the cupboard lights).

Reading simillar questions on this forum, I think this is possible, but I was just seeking confirmation and to check that this is ok. I guess my only concern is that I am wiring what looks like stand appliance cable (not 1.5 twin/earth lighting cable) directly into a lighting main....is this ok, or should the flourecent lighting cable wire into a fused spur socket? (my parents have their cupboard lights as I have explained above)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Sponsored Links
wow that was quick!...the flex's are apx 1.5 meters long. They have a specific connector at one end (which goes into the light unit) There are 3 flourecent lights in total, so by the looks of it, I need to get a couple of connecting cables, to link all the lights together...thanks for not supplying this MFI!.

That said, lights 1 and 2 will be very close to each other and light 3 is on the other side of the kitchen, so with that in mind I will need quite a long connecting cable (5 meters would probably cover it easily).

I'd like to connect directly into the lighting switch and not go into a fused spur....this sounds a much neater way and will keep all my lights switched on/off from one unit.

Cheers for your assistance....

I meant what cross-sectional area...some flexes have the size and no. of conductors printed on the sheath, eg 2 x 0.75 means 2 cores of 0.75mm²
each.

If you're taking the flexes into the switch box, have you got a neutral there to connect to?

Sponsored Links
Hi Securesparks....sorry about that...the flex's are 2 x 0.75mm (i'd describe it as lamp cable or standard flex cable). With regards to the switch (this is where I may sound a bit dim) there's a red and a black cable (live and neutral?)....I could take a pic if you like, but it just looks like a typical light switch (ie there pretty much the same all over my house) except this unit has 2 switches to control 2 lights....cheers again!

With regards to the switch (this is where I may sound a bit dim) there's a red and a black cable (live and neutral?)
No, that black wire is not neutral.
It is switched live and just as dangerous - it should be covered with red warning tape or similar to advise of this.
I think your problem captaincox is that you have not thought about how to get a neutral to your new lights. Neutrals are not commonly found in light switches.
Read more below about how lighting circuits work.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/lighting_circuits.htm

If you're not confident about this work perhaps you should leave it to an electrician.

right. Thanks for pointing this out. Maybe I should just connect them into a fused spur (I have one that I could use). It's not ideal, but hey. I certainly wouldnt try and pick up a neutral from elsewhere....no idea how i'd do it or if it would be legal....I dont mind doing basic stuff, but this sounds like it is not as basic as I thought....good job I asked eh!

Maybe I should just connect them into a fused spur (I have one that I could use)
That would work, fuse it down to 5 amps max.

I certainly wouldnt try and pick up a neutral from elsewhere....no idea how i'd do it or if it would be legal
I have a horrible feeling this work is notifiable if you use fixed wiring to modify existing circuits, because your kitchen is a "special location" :rolleyes:
But I am happy to be corrected :D

im going to get an electrician in to do this....I dont attempt to do things im not sure about.

Just to go back to switch issue.

I don't want to sound at all condescending when I say this.

For all folk reading this who think that black wires connected to switch terminals are neutrals...

Think about what the switch does. There are two wires attached to it. When you push the switch, the light comes on.

If you suppose that the red wire were live and the black were neutral, what would happen when the switch was closed?

(Clue - BANG!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back