Replacing under cupboard kitchen lights

Ok, first sorry for the delay in responding. I missed the updates on page 2!

The lights have been in and working for a few days now, but from the above and reading back through the comments, there still seems to be a potentially hazardous issue if connector 3 is separated while the circuit is live (in reality I'd always disable the circuit before disconnecting anyway, but guess others may not).

It seems:

Connector 1: All ok
Connector 2: All ok
Connector 3: Connectors are the wrong way round, mains cables the wrong way round (black connected to L1, red connected to N). Also the lighting side was previously wired incorrectly too, but since my recent work, that side is now correctly wired to the indicators on the terminal (but now doesn't match the mains side).

So to finish this job, I need to re-wire Connector 3 the other way round (and at the same time might as well replace it and secure the correct wires to the correct terminals!). Correct?

With regards to screwing the (mains) ends of the connectors to cabinets, there doesn't seem to be a hole in the connector to do this (or do I need to drill through the two recessed holes in front of the terminal connectors, and attach that way? I don't want end up with a screw made live, and going into the cupboard!
upload_2021-1-14_18-12-14.png
I was thinking these holes could be used but in hindsight I have a feeling there are corresponding pins on the covers to fill them.

Ironically it's been a long time since I've used any other than removing some in a local village hall where the cables were simply chopped.

In that case just add some clips fairly close to the connectors.

Sponsored Links
Ok, so another weekend, some more work. Just reporting back here, so hopefully if I've done anything stupid someone will shout out!

I've replaced the lighting connector with a new one, and wired it the correct way round.

I cut and re-stripped the T&E wires so as not to screw on wire already flattened from previous screws (not sure if necessary).

The instructions for the connector stated the earth needed to be at least 8mm longer than the live and neutral (I assume so if the cable gets pulled out, this will be the last to disconnect), which made fitting difficult - in the end I bent the earth wire upwards to allow the live and neutral to reach the terminals).

There were holes for 3 T&E cables, so I covered up the other two with electrical tape. Probably not necessary, but I wanted to minimise dust, moisture and/or debris entering the connector.

Finally, I cut down and re-routed the cable that was too long. Not quite as nicely as SUNRAY's suggestion, but as this cupboard was next to the cooker, I wanted to avoid moving the connector in that direction.

If anyone spots anything awful, please shout out :)

Original connector (T&E in wrong side of the connector, and live and neutral in wrong terminals):
IMG_1058.jpg

New connector (wired correctly, and to correct part of connector):
IMG_1059.jpg

New connector, with bent earth:
IMG_1061.jpg

Trimmed/tidied wire:
IMG_1084.jpg

Cheers again for all the input so far :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back