Replacing under cupboard kitchen lights

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for your advice so far - it's really appreciated.

One of the terminal screws was pretty chewed up, so if I'm disconnecting I should probably take the opportunity to replace with new connectors. What is their proper name (a quick search for "connectors" on Screwfix throws up a lot of results!)?

Also, the included live-mains cables were quite long. I probably should have trimmed at least one of them down (but didn't). I did try to make sure it was spread out. The photo below is the worst of the three. Is it ok to leave this excess cable (if I use some more cable clips to tidy/make more secure)?
View attachment 217884
It's OK, Theres nothing actually wrong there but it is quite untidy, also it would be better if each socket had a screw holding it to the cabinet.
Personally I'd have moved the T&E over and cut the cable much shorter.
Maybe not as short as I show here but it gives an idea:
upload_2021-1-10_14-22-33.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not sure.

There are two connectors - one is wired one way (correctly flex to plug) and one is wired the other way.

I thought/think the picture you have written on is the one wired correctly.
The one you picture is wired correctly I believe, the one I've written on has red connected to 'N' of the PLUG and the flex is wired to the SOCKET.

Sponsored Links
I don't think so.

Leaving aside the L & N which don't really matter -

Is the lower picture not the socket which accepts bare pins?

View attachment 217935

Second look at your pic, I got that wrong.
However:
upload_2021-1-10_16-56-36.png

So what's the issue? Apart from the bottom image where the socket with the hidden metal parts is connected to the load where no shock hazard exists and the plug with the potentially exposed metal parts connected to the T&E and hence having a potentially hazardous situation when unplugged.

Unless I am missing something, surely you have marked those three the wrong way round.
The exposed pins, when unplugged, should be connected to the flex.

Therefore the top and middle are INcorrect and the bottom is correct.

I think someone else will have to adjudicate.

Unless I am missing something, surely you have marked those three the wrong way round.
The exposed pins, when unplugged, should be connected to the flex.

Therefore the top and middle are INcorrect and the bottom is correct.

I think someone else will have to adjudicate.
Unfortunately our wheelie bin was emptied on Wednesday, complete with 21 pairs otherwise I'd have photographed them.
This was always the easiest way to recognise a plug at a glance:
upload_2021-1-10_18-27-52.png

Hence the reason I got my answer to your question wrong.

I can't find an exact picture, but -

do you agree with this? and is it similar to the ones in question?

upload_2021-1-10_19-9-55.png

I have found one so you are correct. Sorry for the bother.

I did not realise the "bare" pins were actually covered and look like a socket.

upload_2021-1-10_19-16-16.png

Ok, first sorry for the delay in responding. I missed the updates on page 2!

The lights have been in and working for a few days now, but from the above and reading back through the comments, there still seems to be a potentially hazardous issue if connector 3 is separated while the circuit is live (in reality I'd always disable the circuit before disconnecting anyway, but guess others may not).

It seems:

Connector 1: All ok
Connector 2: All ok
Connector 3: Connectors are the wrong way round, mains cables the wrong way round (black connected to L1, red connected to N). Also the lighting side was previously wired incorrectly too, but since my recent work, that side is now correctly wired to the indicators on the terminal (but now doesn't match the mains side).

So to finish this job, I need to re-wire Connector 3 the other way round (and at the same time might as well replace it and secure the correct wires to the correct terminals!). Correct?

With regards to screwing the (mains) ends of the connectors to cabinets, there doesn't seem to be a hole in the connector to do this (or do I need to drill through the two recessed holes in front of the terminal connectors, and attach that way? I don't want end up with a screw made live, and going into the cupboard!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back