Kitchen Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,
I'm rewiring my kitchen at the moment part of which is a completely new ring just for the kitchen. My wife wants small strip lights under the wall cabinets to illuminate the worktop and LED strip lighting on the underside of the worktop (mains powered via a transformer) She then wants these lights controlled from light switches next to the room light switches. The question is should I extend the lighting ring to cover these new lights or take a fused spur from the new ring?

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks
Niall

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds,

thanks for the advice, lighting circuit it is.

Re Part-P I have an application for ready to send into the local council for this very purpose as soon as I've drawn up the wiring diagram. Talking of which, what do you use to create the diagram, computer or pencil and paper?

Regards

Talking of which, what do you use to create the diagram, computer or pencil and paper?

Head

Mostly registered electricians do not need to submit diagrams.

If the council need a diagram then whatever provides a clear plan that they can follow when they visit.

I am concerned about your timing though.

It seems that you have not notified the council that you are going to start the works. Yet you state

I'm rewiring my kitchen at the moment

You have to tell them at least two working days BEFORE commencement of works.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure hand drawn will be fine, along with a written description of the proposed works.

I doubt they'll be the slightest bit interested in circuit schematics though, probably just a description like "electrical installation work in the kitchen", but do check with them what they do want.

One thing they will want is an indication of how you intend to comply with P1. "Complying with BS 7671:2008" is a good bet, but they might want you to show how you'd be competent to do that, and of course the significant issue of what you will do about testing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back