Under cupboard lights in a kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst re-fitting a kitchen and having discovered that the wiring was wrong I have decided to extend the ring main in the kitchen, whilst doing this and in the planning stage I wanted to know whether it is acceptable and good practice for the following:
The cupboards are on three separate walls and will have low voltage lighting powered by a suitable transformer fed from a FCU. Could I also include in each FCU a switch line that will be run back to a switch placed next to the existing light switch, to enable the switching on of all the ‘under cupboard’ lights at once rather than going around to each unit and switching them on individually using an architrave switch. This would be achieved by connecting the S/L in the metal box of the individual FCU’s using a terminal block.

Sponsored Links
i think you are over complicating things a little, also the way you described your method it sounds like you would have three seperate fused supplies going back to the same switch all connected together (not a good idea)the simplest way would be to take a feed from your lighting circuit at its nearest point (if your lighting cicuit will allow for the additional load)prehaps a ceiling rose or joint box. use a six terminal joint box then to terminate this new feed.run one T/E wire to the switch and then one T/E wire to each light position.......i have a drawing of the connections for the joint box but i can`t seem to get it into this reply box....sorry prehaps someone who is more familiar with this site can send you the drawing( i only joined yesterday..sorry!
hope it helps..

[/img]

Thanks stardelta
The reason why I wanted to do this as opposed to having 3 different architrave switches to put on when you wanted the subdued lighting rather than the main lights, with regard to the complication I thought while I’m chasing out around all 4 walls I might as well run the switch lines as well. But as you say it’s not a good idea I will just run the switch lines to below the cupboards for switches.
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
the method i described to you using the joint box means you can have all three lights controlled from one switch wherever you want it you don`t have to put each light on its own switch,its the joint box connections which will configure your switching.....its a bit frustating for me because i have the drawing but can`t paste it here(this picture is definately worth a thousand words)hopefully someone will pick up on this thread and post picture..sorry! [/img]

i think you are over complicating things a little, also the way you described your method it sounds like you would have three seperate fused supplies going back to the same switch all connected together (not a good idea)

Umm......Bloody dangerous springs to mind.

Start from scratch. Rewire them, either from one FCU or from one light switch/lighting cct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back