Under wall cabinet lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the accepted practice for connecting up some lights under a Kitchen wall cabinet? I was going to use a switched FCU that was spurred off the ring. What would be the best choice of light? Steve.

Sponsored Links
FCU with an appropriate size fuse will be fine.

Undercabinet lights? Well there's an aray of products, google 'TLC' and look for the ones you like.

Post back a link, the volume of lights and I'll tell you what fuse your need :LOL:

Steve,

I've just finished the first fix of my kitchen wiring and am awaiting inspection by the BC officer.

I asked on here about the best way and received some fantastic advice.

In the end I decided upon a spur from the ring main to a switched FCU and from there on to three flush mounting boxes (two cabinets I want to light are on the same wall but separated by a chimney hood - the other two cabinets are joined but on the opposite wall to the split cabinets), just above the top of the wall cabinets, with flex outlet connector plate thingies. That way, I can mount the lights under the cabinets and route the flex behind the cabinet and up to the outlet. All four lights (well three really because two will be linked together on the cabinet on the opposite wall to the cooker hood) will be switched from the switched FCU.

I don't see why they wouldn't approve it but I'll let you know if BC have any objections.

Regards

Fred.

Thanks for the tips guys. Fred I'd be really interested in how you get on with the BCO. Did they come out before you started to have a look round? I don't think my cabinets have any space behind for running a cable but I will check that. I was planning on putting a switched FCU for each light (3 cabinets, 3 lights) just below the bottom of the wall cabinet and then run the light cable straight into the SFCU plate. My layout sounds similar to yours with the cooker hood in the middle. Steve.

Sponsored Links
Steve,

No, BC didn't come out prior to me starting work. I just had to complete a form and send it off with the fee. You can then start work 48 hours later. I called them first though to make sure they received it and to confirm I could start work.

Why have three switches for the three lights? Will you want to use one light without the others on? If not then it would be much more convenient for you to have all lights controlled by just one switch. Even if you wanted to switch some off and leave others on, many have individual switches on the light fitting itself so I'd say you're much better off having one switch - providing you can wire it up easy enough (it sounds like your kitchen is already fitted which may make it a bit more difficult.

Regards

Fred

EDIT - I'll let you know on Friday how it went with BC. I was surprised they wanted to inspect at first fix, before it's connected to the CU. I would have thought they'd tell me to connect it to the CU first but without covering up any work and then they'll inspect.

I'll give BC a ring then to see what's happening with my application. I am going to rip down the kitchen completely but I will reuse the existing cabinets with some extra ones I've bought. Thinking about it I think I may have seen a gap at the back of the wall cabinets when looking from the top. That gap doesn't appear at the bottom of the cabinet, though I could drill a small hole to route the lighting flex behind and up to the top. Good luck with the BCO, fingers crossed for you. Steve.

I aways find the best lights to fit are the ones my wife picks, it saves a lot of time and discussion which flows in one direction only

JACKC said:
I aways find the best lights to fit are the ones my wife picks, it saves a lot of time and discussion which flows in one direction only

Does your wife apprecate the finer points of the wiring needed ?

If so you are a lucky man....

FredFlintstone said:
I was surprised they wanted to inspect at first fix, before it's connected to the CU. I would have thought they'd tell me to connect it to the CU first but without covering up any work and then they'll inspect.

If you had made a cods and connected to the CU you might just cause the harm the Part P was designed to avoid. Whether it does so is another matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back