Replacing Kitchen Extractor Fan with Under Cupboard Lights

8 Sep 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Now, it's obviously not a straight swap (functionality wise) but I am completely redecorating my kitchen and wondered if it is acceptable to use the wiring that goes to an extractor fan and connect low voltage under cupboard lights. (through an FCU and transformer)

It would be ideal if poss as the light switch has two switches one for lights, one for extractor fan, but as i'm installing a kitchen hood - I don't think i'll need the extractor fan.

Cheers in advance
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response!

Yes, it is supplied by the lighting circuit. I thought about putting the FCU in because at the moment, the supply cable to the extractor fan goes straight into the fan from behind the plasterboard, and I wanted something to seperate the 'behind the wall' bit of the circuit to presumably just flex that'll run on the top of the cupboards.

Cheers for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links