Kitchen with pitched roof - making ceiling vaulted with skylights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I don't know if this is a daft idea so please tell me if it is. Our kitchen was constructed a few years after the main house which is an 1846 mid terrace.

The ceiling, I am not sure if it is original but it is sloped towards one end of the room. You can see outlines in it of what I presume are ceiling joists?

It is papered and painted - all of the paint is peeling and flaking off in places. Basically it looks a mess.

I'm wondering what is involved in effectively opening it up and making the ceiling vaulted (the roof is pitched) and adding a couple of skylights.

How would you usually have lighting after doing this? Suspended from a beam in the middle, or some sort of a track system?

Any idea of costs and trades required? Would it need a re roof to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
It is unlikely that any of the timber elements in your existing roof comply to todays' size standards and that's without considering how the existing roof would stand up to being converted to a vaulted fella.

This is highly likely to be a re-roof jobby along with design details for the roof construction and strapping including Velux trimming etc and design details for insulating and venting etc.

Show us a drawing with sizes and a few details and someone will give you an idea of costs - otherwise prices start at £10k.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back