Kitchen worktop finishes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some feedback on how people find their worktop surfaces
fare against stains and small scratches?
Wifey wants ours replaced with a gloss finish, but we've previously had a
matt finish without any problems and I'd hate to go for gloss only to find
it ends up looking a mess. (we can make Wayne and Waynetta Slob look
houseproud on occasions) :)

So is gloss just as durable or does it show small abrasions too easily,
and can I be as vigorous with the cream cleaner as with my old matt
finish worktops?

TIA

Sponsored Links
I'd forget the cream cleaners, I find a sanding disc much more effective at shifting those stubborn grease marks, tab burns etc. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Scoby_Beasley said:
I'd forget the cream cleaners, I find a sanding disc much more effective at shifting those stubborn grease marks, tab burns etc. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

that's being silly, its far too SMALL, you want one of these

eslsl8_sander.jpg

The gloss worktops look great in the brochures and showrooms but they do tend to scratch very easily. My friend had them put in and had the company change the whole lot twice (12 month gaurantee) because within a few months each time they looked scuffed and scratched.They have now gone back to a matt finish.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, though considering the amount of people who have viewed this thread and who I must assume own worktops of some description,
I'm surprised so few cared to voice an opinion and help me out with this
choice by sharing their experience.

You'll forgive me if I don't try the handy cleaning tips though, real men
use flamethrowers to remove those stubborn stains :)

i think its fair to say you get a lot of views, because people want to see if they can help, but as its an "odd" question, you did not get many replies.

I say odd because as yet never had same problem as you so do not know what to do :(

now about that flame thrower....................

That's fair enough, it's just that it would be easy to make a choice based on visual appeal, but I'd hate to regret it later if a gloss finish surface
ended up with loads of tiny scratches and looked bad, while a less attractive matt finish could put up with the usual wear and tear.
I hoped I'd get some unbiased opinions rather the spiel I'd get from a
salesman trying to part me with my cash.

As to the flamethrower, already sorted :) see this

Sorry puppyhead, I was being "flippant", as much as I know the glossy finish will show every mark, my partner insists, go for a smooth matt if you can, unless you love carpentry !!

Cheers, nothing wrong with flippant, I like humorous posts, I think I've
managed to finally convince wifey to forgo the shiny surfaces in favour
of something a little more durable, so matt finish here we come :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back