Kitchen worktop lights issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new kitchen installed last year, complete overhaul in everything. The underworktop lighting are small strip lights, I believe purchased from Homebase (its a homebase kitchen). They are connected using a 2 pin 8 way connector, and all seem to be wired together with the cables on the top of the wall units and connected to a switch on the wall with a 3A fuse.
For the past year there have been no issues at all, but recently one of the lights stopped working. The farthest away one. We assumed it was a bulb issue when I put the bulb from a working light into it, but then when I put the old bulb back and powered it from a socket instead of the cable it was using it worked.
Baffled I assumed it was a cabling issue so purchased a new cable.
Fitted it today but it did not seem to fix the issue, then it did, then not.
Took the light off the unit to see if anything looked out of place etc, but saw nothing. Put the bulb back in and turned off the other three lights, so when the main switch was put on only one light would draw power, and still nothing.
Put all the others back on and turned it on again and this time the light came on and stayed on.
So I flipped the switch off and on and it would not come back on.

Basically the light rarely comes on but I cant figure out why its hit and miss, especially if absolutely nothing near the light or the cabling has been moved (not likely a loose wire)

ANy ideas?

Sponsored Links
Firstly check where the pins on the lamp go, are making good contact with the lampholder and are not damaged, as it sounds like a bad contact issue between lamp and lamp contacts.
It is also possible that there is something loose or making poor contact within the fitting.

I guess the "bulbs" are the little halogen ones with 2 pins? (G4)

The cheapo contacts on many of the light fittings for these are prone to failure.
These days, most people install LED lighting - but that's Homebase for you………………….

Sponsored Links
The OP said strip lights though.

Can you please post some photos of what lights you have? Including the connectors. Small strip lights could be flurecsent tubes, tungsten tubes, LED strips etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back